No center/sub channel sound PC. Two different sound cards tested. Same result.

Dustin_44

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
The center/sub channel audio on my PC went out a couple of weeks ago. At first I thought that it was a speaker issue, so, I tested across ports and all of the speakers work fine. Next, I figured it was the Realtek integrated card on my motherboard. So, I bought a new Soudblaster Z card with no luck of solving the issue. I still have no audio on center/sub. Even on a separate, brand new sound card.
Everything is plugged in correctly, drivers are up to date on everything, all audio settings are set to 5.1, the speakers are fine.
I'm at a loss. One day it was fine, then the next day it wasn't.

I need some help with this, please.

Solution
Excellent :) It could be Windows 10 decided to overwrite the drivers with recent Cumulate Update. This is default setting that Windows will update your device drivers automatically, not just patching Windows like previous OS versions.. You would need to manually disable this setting.
Its likely the amp failing for the center/sub channel. I had similar issue on my old Z-680 5.1 setup last year. Center would intermittently cut out. I'd run the speaker test(on remote control,not software), and it would suddenly work fine for awhile. Ordered new Z-906 system, been happy ever since.

Dustin_44

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017

That sounds very similar. Except...
I hooked up my brother's 5.1 set to my rig this morning after a little begging, Lol. We know there are no problems with his setup. Still the same issue of no center channel on mine though.
So, now we have two different sound cards and two different speaker sets with the same result. Hmmm....

Dustin_44

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Both sets use their own wiring, cables, etc.
The software/OS issue was something I was considering as well. But hoping it wasn't. I'm running Win 10 at the moment and there was a critical update on the 14th (around the time the problem started). I suppose a restore may be in order. If not a clean install???
On that note... I should've stuck with Win 7.

Update: The Sys Restore method did not work. It, in fact, made it worse. So I had to undo the restore. I'll keep tapping away at possibilities, but patience is waning a little.

Dustin_44

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
The device manager looks good. Let me check the Event Viewer.
I've also gone ahead and ran Malware Bytes and CCleaner for giggles. No luck yet.

Update: Nothing notably related to audio that I can see. However, I'm finding several errors pertaining to a bad block on HDD. Checking into that now.

Dustin_44

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Gotcha.
I'm running the sfc/scannow in elevated.
Also using EaseUS trial for HDD health. 8 bad sectors thus far. It has quite a while until its finished. Good thing I'm actually pretty patient and have plenty of other things to do. lol

Update: scannow comes up 100% clean. It also froze up the EaseUS program. I just cancelled and uninstalled that and am now running HDtune so that we stay on the same page here.

Dustin_44

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Absolutely! I'm hoping that's the issue, but, we'll see. I do think its a good time to SSD the OS on this puppy and I guess maybe a 1TB HDD for my stuff, which isn't too much really. I keep the system pretty clean and maintained. Which is why I was so surprised by this audio issue.

I'll let you know what the HDtune says when its finished.
You're help right now is much appreciated. Believe me... Thank you!

Glad to help. :) Want to help getting this figured out. An SSD makes a huge difference vs.HDD for OS, assuming your other system specs are decent. It's worth it if funds permit. I know what you mean about a clean system as well. I'm picky on software installations, routine maintenance, ect. myself.

Dustin_44

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Yes, I have.
My brother had suggested checking in the BIOS for an option to turn off the on-board audio, but there isn't an option to do so there. (Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3)

Dustin_44

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Ok. I found it under the South Bridge Config. Disabled. No change in problem yet. Lol
I'm gonna try reinstalling the drivers for the Soundblaster.

UPDATE!: ITS ALIVVVVEEEE! LOL!
We got it working, good buddy!

Excellent :) It could be Windows 10 decided to overwrite the drivers with recent Cumulate Update. This is default setting that Windows will update your device drivers automatically, not just patching Windows like previous OS versions.. You would need to manually disable this setting.

Solution

Dustin_44

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Sounds like that was the issue. I'm still so used to 7. I will be disabling the setting in the morning.
Thanks again for all of your help! It was all very much appreciated. :)