no clearance delivery at small airport

In the real world, if there is no clearance delivery at a small airport is
it possible to file a flight plan with a local approach to be picked up
later in flight? or is there no flight service available? Is there a charge
for such services?

Lynndel Humphreys <lynndel@xtn.net> wrote:

> In the real world, if there is no clearance delivery at a small airport is
> it possible to file a flight plan with a local approach to be picked up
> later in flight?

In the US, this can be done, but the pilot needs to first ensure that he
can maintain VFR flight (meaning guarantee his own terrain, obstacle, and
other aircraft separation, as well as remain clear of clouds and operate in
proper visibility as per the airspace requirements) right up to the point
that ATC acknowledges the pilot's radio contact with an IFR clearance.

Of course, there are many weather scenarios where this won't be possible,
so the only option is to first receive the IFR clearance on the ground and
be released for IFR flight.

To receive an IFR clearance on the ground and at an airport without a
discreet local clearance frequency, there are three options: 1) A
clearance frequency that can be reached on the ground that reaches a nearby
ATC approach or center facility, 2) A remote communication outlet where
the pilot can contact Flight Service (FSS), or 3) a phone number to contact
ATC or FSS to receive the IFR clearance.

Normally, the Airport/Facilities Directory, an official publication of all
details of US airports, will list the preferred method for reaching an IFR
clearance.

> or is there no flight service available?

Especially with the advent of the cell phone, flight service is available
to just about every US airport, Alaska excluded perhaps.

> Is there a charge for such services?

Not in the US and not at this time.

--
Peter

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

as far as I know you can pick up an IFR clearance on the ground at a unicom
airport from approach, thats where the phraseology, clearance void if not
off by... comes from

Petebert <castle@nthrax.org> wrote:

> as far as I know you can pick up an IFR clearance on the ground at a unicom
> airport from approach,

Hardly ever. In fact, there are no uncontrolled airports of which I know
that one can use the unicom frequency to obtain an IFR clearance, at least
in the US.

As I indicated in my post, the three options I listed are the methods for
receiving an IFR clearance at an uncontrolled airport.

> thats where the phraseology, clearance void if not
> off by... comes from

True. Void time is a way for ATC to ensure that either they are expecting
to see you on radar at some near point or that they are going to receive a
phone/radio call from you stating that you didn't. If either of these do
not occur by a certain time, search and rescue operations are initiated.

--
Peter

phraseology,

I'm lost but I have a cell phone and the facilities book what do I do

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

obviously you wouldnt use the unicom frequency, it would be funny to hear
someone ask for a clearance there though, I ment, your at a unicom airport,
you call approach on their frequency

> Petebert <castle@nthrax.org> wrote:
>
>> as far as I know you can pick up an IFR clearance on the ground at a
>> unicom
>> airport from approach,
>
> Hardly ever. In fact, there are no uncontrolled airports of which I know
> that one can use the unicom frequency to obtain an IFR clearance, at least
> in the US.
>
> As I indicated in my post, the three options I listed are the methods for
> receiving an IFR clearance at an uncontrolled airport.
>
>> thats where the phraseology, clearance void if not
>> off by... comes from
>
> True. Void time is a way for ATC to ensure that either they are expecting
> to see you on radar at some near point or that they are going to receive a
> phone/radio call from you stating that you didn't. If either of these do
> not occur by a certain time, search and rescue operations are initiated.
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Lynndel Humphreys <lynndel@xtn.net> wrote:

> I'm lost but I have a cell phone and the facilities book what do I do

Are you on the ground at an airport in the US? I cannot imagine any
scenario where you would be lost when on the ground at an airport and still
be interested in activating your IFR clearance. Seems to me like you
would have much bigger problems.

--
Peter

Petebert <castle@nthrax.org> wrote:

> obviously you wouldnt use the unicom frequency, it would be funny to hear
> someone ask for a clearance there though, I ment, your at a unicom airport,
> you call approach on their frequency

Oh, OK.

--
Peter

Hi,

They are talking about REAL LIFE, not in the sim. In the sim you take
off from the airport, and then file your IFR flight plan.

Hope this helps,

Lynndel Humphreys wrote:
> phraseology,
>

> I'm lost but I have a cell phone and the facilities book what do I do

Tom Gibson

Cal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco

Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com

Tom wrote:

> They are talking about REAL LIFE, not in the sim. In the sim you take
> off from the airport, and then file your IFR flight plan.

The OP was also asking about real life. See the opening sentence of
the original post.

--
Peter

Barney wrote:

> Actually I think the phrase you are groping for is "Remote Communications
> Outlet" or RCO.

Who is groping? Used that phrase myself in a previous post in this
thread. :)

--
Peter

Actually I think the phrase you are groping for is "Remote Communications
Outlet" or RCO. This is a fairly standard way of contacting approach whilst
on the ground, (apart from the phone)...

- Barney

> Petebert <castle@nthrax.org> wrote:
>
>> obviously you wouldnt use the unicom frequency, it would be funny to hear
>> someone ask for a clearance there though, I ment, your at a unicom
>> airport,
>> you call approach on their frequency
>
> Oh, OK.
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Barney Rubble wrote:

> Actually I think the phrase you are groping for is "Remote Communications
> Outlet" or RCO. This is a fairly standard way of contacting approach whilst
> on the ground, (apart from the phone)...
>
> - Barney

Another funny moment in time. I did my instrument training in a Piper
Warrior in Newport News VA. Up until this training I had flown only high
wing airplanes and even with the few hours I flew the Warrior, I hardly
ever was able to look outside the cockpit. So when I was scheduled for
my check ride it was at a grass strip south of Norfolk. (VA59)

So VFR for the first time in a low wing (I immediately preferred low
wing over high wing, don't know why) So after finding and landing at
this grass strip (my first grass landing with 30 ft tree lines just off
both departures) I went in and met my evaluator. He was an old guy, told
me later that Amelia Earhart wore mens underwear. After the oral I was
told to file and pick up the clearance after take-off circling over the
airfield maintaining below 1000 ft AGL altitude until clearance
received. I was prepared to fly single pilot and it was good that I did.
This guy wouldn't lift a finger to help. It's easy to use a kneeboard in
a helicopter and probably in a fixed wing with a stick, but the first
day when the kneeboard prevented the yoke from coming aft I threw it in
the back. Anyhow, as I was making an NDB approach into an uncontrolled
airport I tuned in UNICOM to state my intentions. After making the call
I realized I had set the Unicom freq in the radio I had approach on. I
had been sent to several different controllers and as I started
descending on the approach I tuned in what I thought was the last freq I
was on. I then took the mike and called, asking if they still received
me. I was lucky, I remembered the correct freq and they answered that
the heard me fine. The evaluator, who I believe was sleeping, asked me
what I was doing. I told him I was just checking approach. That
statement made no sense but it was the best I could come up with. It was
good enough, he went back to sleep.

After landing and debriefing (I passed) I went to take off and was
taxiing to the runway a C172 was behind me with two girls who were going
up to do some hood training. Of course I felt great. Any pilot knows the
feeling after passing an difficult flight eval so in my euphoria I
wanted to show off a bit for the girls so after clearing I took the
runway and firewalled it, forgetting everything about short field
take-offs over obstacles. I rotated a bit early, I had no flaps in, and
after leaving the earth, I fell right back down again. Hoping the girls
hadn't seen me, I threw in some flaps and pulled it back off the ground,
clearing the trees by plenty of room. But a little less proud of myself.

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)