no cockpit lighting in VC

Recently I've been flying at dusk. Trouble is, I can't get any cockpit
lighting in the VC. 2D panel lighting works fine, but in the virtual
cockpit there's no difference between on and off. The only light I get
in there is what comes through the windows.

I noticed this on the Mooney, and a quick test shows the same thing on
the default C172 and DC-3. Haven't tried any of the other planes.

Is there a setting that I can tinker with for cockpit lighting in the
VC?

GREGORY

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 07:01:06 -0600, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>Recently I've been flying at dusk. Trouble is, I can't get any cockpit
>lighting in the VC. 2D panel lighting works fine, but in the virtual
>cockpit there's no difference between on and off. The only light I get
>in there is what comes through the windows.
>
>I noticed this on the Mooney, and a quick test shows the same thing on
>the default C172 and DC-3. Haven't tried any of the other planes.
>
>Is there a setting that I can tinker with for cockpit lighting in the
>VC?

David.. commonly known is the line in Aircraft.CFG for VC lamp
and coordinates.. (ex) light.10=4, -18.85, 0.00, 4.2, fx_vclight

// Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit

However for some models, the origin of the VC compartment is
different from the AC origin. Although I've never built a MDL,the
same issue came up with one of Tom Gibson's prop airplanes.
That's a good clue.. hope Tom is reading this to expand more.
It's about the location of the lamp.. and could also be the switch
gauge programming. Might also run through the keyboard cmds
for LIGHTS. Lastly what is the NIGHT illum in Panel.CFG?

-Gregory

Goran

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004

tried Shift L?

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1112360426.28987@forums.simradar.com...
> Recently I've been flying at dusk. Trouble is, I can't get any cockpit
> lighting in the VC. 2D panel lighting works fine, but in the virtual
> cockpit there's no difference between on and off. The only light I get
> in there is what comes through the windows.
>
> I noticed this on the Mooney, and a quick test shows the same thing on
> the default C172 and DC-3. Haven't tried any of the other planes.
>
> Is there a setting that I can tinker with for cockpit lighting in the
> VC?

Thanks for your help, Gregory. I didn't see anything fishy in
Aircraft.cfg. Tried shift+L. No help there. Some more experimenting
shows that the cockpit lighting _does_ work in at least one plane, the
Bill Lyons Sikorsky.

Anyone else have an idea?

Fixed it! Searching the AVSIM forums more broadly (for cockpit light
instead of "cockpit lighting"), I found a week-old thread titled
"Lights don't behave."
http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=121&topic_id=24
5919&mesg_id=245919&listing_type=search

bobsk8 suggested increasing the number of "Hardware Rendered Lights" in
Options | Settings | Display | Hardware. I checked: mine were at 1
(since I have a lame video card anyway). Bumping it up to 2 gave me my
VC panel lights back. Thank you, bobsk8!

GREGORY

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:05:04 -0600, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>Fixed it! Searching the AVSIM forums more broadly (for cockpit light
>instead of "cockpit lighting"), I found a week-old thread titled "Lights
>don't behave."
>
>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=121&topic_id=245919&mesg_id=245919&listing_type=search
>
>bobsk8 suggested increasing the number of "Hardware Rendered Lights"
>in Options | Settings | Display | Hardware. I checked: mine were at 1
>(since I have a lame video card anyway). Bumping it up to 2 gave me
>my VC panel lights back. Thank you, bobsk8!

ah ha.. that's sounds like a possibility. Checked my FS2002.cfg where
NUM_LIGHTS=4 ... now who has the weakest hardware???

actually.. it was equal to three - and recently bumped it up a notch.

-Gregory

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 07:01:06 -0600, David Wilson-Okamura wrote:

> Is there a setting that I can tinker with for cockpit lighting in the
> VC?

Aside from hanging an .fx light in the cockpit, no. MS apparently either
doesn't know how to backlight VC gauges or simply chose not to bother.

Bill

GREGORY

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 23:01:00 -0500, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 07:01:06 -0600, David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
>
>> Is there a setting that I can tinker with for cockpit lighting in the VC?
>
>Aside from hanging an .fx light in the cockpit, no. MS apparently either
>doesn't know how to backlight VC gauges or simply chose not to bother.
>
>Bill

Have looked in both the " \ Aircraft " and " \ Aircraft Hanger "
folders.. and the B337 is no longer there. However the install
archive from June 2003 is still here.

Check out the LIGHTS section for the B337 propliner:

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit
light.0=3, -6.2, -69.82, 3.35, fx_navred
light.1=3, -6.2, 69.82, 3.35, fx_navgre
light.2=3, -71.1, 0.00, 8.3, fx_navwhi
light.3=1, -63.1, 0.00, 31.2, fx_beacon

light.4=4, 2, 0, -1.5, fx_vclight
light.5=4, 2, -1, -1.5, fx_vclight
light.6=4, 2, 1, -1.5, fx_vclight

Notice the coords for the vclights.. they aren't up front.. but near
the origin. That's because (in this case) the cockpit compartment has
it's own coordinate system and origin. It may or may not explain your
concern however. Possibly move vclights `in close' and see if it will
work. Keep in mind I have no experience building MDLs. Hope Tom
Gibson is reading.

-Gregory

GREGORY

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 14:38:08 -0600, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>Thanks for your help, Gregory. I didn't see anything fishy in
>Aircraft.cfg. Tried shift+L. No help there. Some more experimenting
>shows that the cockpit lighting _does_ work in at least one plane...

The C172 works ok here in FS8.. and it's difficult to believe that FS9
has disabled the VC lighting. Here's a look at a diagram and cockpit.

VC lamp enlarged by a pixel or two.. it's in pilots' face!!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/172ACM.gif (diagram)

Works ok in older version.. [ L ] key switches on-off.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/172VC.jpg (VC)

-Gregory