No Color in Pictures

In my Gateway, all my pics are gray and white.

I'm right clicking on desktop/ settings/ 256 color/ 800x600 screen
area/ apply/ yes (to restart)

Checking it after restart shows me "16 colors and 640x480 sreen area"
still.
What am I doing wrong? My computers are making me feel my age!!

Charlie :oops: :oops:

Either your video drivers are corrupted or not installed. In device manager
if your video device is listed as a 'standard vga adapter' or similar, the
drivers are not installed and need to be installed. If the listing is
correct for the video card, they are probably corrupt. You need to change
the driver for your video card to a standard vga adapter, reboot and then
reinstall the proper drivers for your video card.

"cgriggs" <lgriggs@zoominternet-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> In my Gateway, all my pics are gray and white.
>
> I'm right clicking on desktop/ settings/ 256 color/ 800x600 screen
> area/ apply/ yes (to restart)
>
> Checking it after restart shows me "16 colors and 640x480 sreen area"
> still.
> What am I doing wrong? My computers are making me feel my age!!
>
> Charlie :oops: :oops:

> Tweekwrote:
Either your video drivers are corrupted or not installed. In device
manager if your video device is listed as a 'standard vga adapter' or
similar, the drivers are not installed and need to be installed. If
the listing is correct for the video card, they are probably corrupt.
You need to change the driver for your video card to a standard vga
adapter, reboot and then reinstall the proper drivers for your video
card.

Tweek,
The device lists my "NVIDA RIVA TNT2" so I guess I have to change it.
(or update it??) Do I do it with a Gateway download? Perhaps from my
"System Restoration CD"? (I'm a lil lost here.)

In "Control Panel" the icon "NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager" does not
respond to a double left click and when given e right click /Open
...nothing!
What does that tell me?

TIA; Charlie

Right click on the video card in device manager and select properties. Go to
the driver tab and click the button says update drivers. Select the option
to choose the driver you want to install. Scroll to the top of the list
where it says 'standard display types'. Select 'standard pci vga adapter'.
follow the prompts and reboot when asked. After the reboot, go back into
device manager, click on the video card and select properties. Go to the
driver tab and click update driver. This time let it automatically search
for a driver. It should find the proper tnt2 driver automatically. Follow
the promts until the end and reboot. Video drivers should be fine now.

>> Tweekwrote:
> Either your video drivers are corrupted or not installed. In device
> manager if your video device is listed as a 'standard vga adapter' or
> similar, the drivers are not installed and need to be installed. If
> the listing is correct for the video card, they are probably corrupt.
> You need to change the driver for your video card to a standard vga
> adapter, reboot and then reinstall the proper drivers for your video
> card.
>
> Tweek,
> The device lists my "NVIDA RIVA TNT2" so I guess I have to change it.
> (or update it??) Do I do it with a Gateway download? Perhaps from my
> "System Restoration CD"? (I'm a lil lost here.)
>
> In "Control Panel" the icon "NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager" does not
> respond to a double left click and when given e right click /Open
> ..nothing!
> What does that tell me?
>
> TIA; Charlie

Tweek,
Strt/ settings/ Control Panel/ Systems/ Device Manager/....nothing
about a video card ...?
"Sound, video & game controllers" is as close as I can come to
anything "Video".
Am I not looking in the right place???
Please forgive my ignorance.
Charlie :oops: :oops:

Should be under Display adapters.

> Tweek,
> Strt/ settings/ Control Panel/ Systems/ Device Manager/....nothing
> about a video card ...?
> "Sound, video & game controllers" is as close as I can come to
> anything "Video".
> Am I not looking in the right place???
> Please forgive my ignorance.
> Charlie :oops: :oops:

Under "Dislay" I find,
Background, Screen Saver, Appearance, Effects, Web and Settings.
Nothing about "Adapters".
(Totally confused)
WHOA!!!
Found it. Please be patient. (I'm Old.) :oops: :oops: :oops: