No computer/internet. Want LAN for phones, usb drive and printer. Possible?

Mar 19, 2018
I have no computer or internet, just smart phones. I want to set up a Local Area Network to print phone messages/pictures and or save from the phone to a usb hard drive. How do I do this?

Solution
That would work. If you are gong to run both a USB hard drive and a printer make sure the router has 2 USB ports. Many printers nowdays connect wireless so then you only need the port for the hard drive. Read the router feature list carefully not all have the ability to mount drives.
You can buy a router that has the ability to run as a NAS and let you access usb drives. The router will run fine with nothing connected to the wan port. The only problem I see is how to get the router configured. Most require a pc to set them up initially. Maybe they make one you can configure with a phone. Most do not allow configuration from wifi and if you do you always risk locking yourself out of the router when you make changes to the wifi settings.

Mar 19, 2018

Mar 19, 2018
Somehow I just reposted your response. Sorry.
Thanks for responding. If I understand correctly, I should be able to borrow a friend's laptop, set up the router, add my printer and hard drive, and disconnect the computer. Can I then link my smart phone so I can download to the hard drive and/or print from my smartphone without needing the computer again?

Thanks

That would work. If you are gong to run both a USB hard drive and a printer make sure the router has 2 USB ports. Many printers nowdays connect wireless so then you only need the port for the hard drive. Read the router feature list carefully not all have the ability to mount drives.

Solution