• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

[SOLVED] No Connection through switch

Apr 10, 2020
I have an Aris BGW210-700 Router and I can't connect through a switch. My home is already pre-wired with CAT5e. I tried all of the plates in the house and none worked so I opened the panel on the wall and noticed that all of the wires had been pulled out of the switch. I did my research and got a punch and whatnot, connected the wires and nothing. I got a new basic switch Steren 550-030. I tested my cables and they are good (568A). Tested each cable with the first port on the router and connected. I then put one in port 1 and connected it to the first port on the switch. I connected the next cable to the 2nd port on the switch and to my laptop. No connection. Is there something I need to do with the router? I hope this was enough info. Thanks in advance! Oh the original switch in the wall is an OnQ 1x9.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your reply.

I am very new to this. Do I need both? How exactly would I connect them? What would the router connect to? I have 8 cables that I need to hook up that are going to each room.
Depending on how convenient everything is to each other, you would either jumper 1 port from the router to the switch I linked then the other switch ports to your patch panel OR if the router is in say the living room, you could use the in-wall cabling to bring a port from the router to port 1 of the patch panel. Then you just connect it to the switch and all the other switch ports to the other patch panel ports.

What you purchased is the equivalent of a bunch of the keystone jacks like each room has in a compact package. That is why there is no connectivity between ports 1 and 2. You can use each of the RJ45 ports just like a wire. So if you only want 4 rooms connected AND your router is close to the patch panel, you could run 4 jumper cables to 4 ports. You would then have four rooms in your house connected. If you want more than 4 ports active, then you buy the switch and connect one port of the switch to the router.

Internet -> modem -> router -> switch -> patch ports ---> wall plug -> device
OR
Internet -> modem -> router -> patch ports ---> wall plug -> device

kanewolf

Titan
I have an Aris BGW210-700 Router and I can't connect through a switch. My home is already pre-wired with CAT5e. I tried all of the plates in the house and none worked so I opened the panel on the wall and noticed that all of the wires had been pulled out of the switch. I did my research and got a punch and whatnot, connected the wires and nothing. I got a new basic switch Steren 550-030. I tested my cables and they are good (568A). Tested each cable with the first port on the router and connected. I then put one in port 1 and connected it to the first port on the switch. I connected the next cable to the 2nd port on the switch and to my laptop. No connection. Is there something I need to do with the router? I hope this was enough info. Thanks in advance! Oh the original switch in the wall is an OnQ 1x9.
A Steren 550-030 is NOT a switch. It is a termination panel -- https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812996075
Connected to each of those RJ45 ports on the Steren you need something like this -- https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-sg1008d-8-x-rj45/p/N82E16833704043
A powered device. A no-power device is like ther Steren is not a switch, just a patch panel.

Reactions: RealBeast
Apr 10, 2020

I am very new to this. Do I need both? How exactly would I connect them? What would the router connect to? I have 8 cables that I need to hook up that are going to each room.

kanewolf

Titan

Depending on how convenient everything is to each other, you would either jumper 1 port from the router to the switch I linked then the other switch ports to your patch panel OR if the router is in say the living room, you could use the in-wall cabling to bring a port from the router to port 1 of the patch panel. Then you just connect it to the switch and all the other switch ports to the other patch panel ports.

What you purchased is the equivalent of a bunch of the keystone jacks like each room has in a compact package. That is why there is no connectivity between ports 1 and 2. You can use each of the RJ45 ports just like a wire. So if you only want 4 rooms connected AND your router is close to the patch panel, you could run 4 jumper cables to 4 ports. You would then have four rooms in your house connected. If you want more than 4 ports active, then you buy the switch and connect one port of the switch to the router.

Internet -> modem -> router -> switch -> patch ports ---> wall plug -> device
OR

Apr 10, 2020
Wait had it
Did you mean
Internet -> modem -> router -> switch ---> wall plug -> device

Apr 10, 2020
Ok so I just need a switch and no patch panel is needed. I don't see the point of the patch panel. So I just got the wrong thing. This is what I am looking at since I will be installing PoE cameras soon.

kanewolf

Titan
Ok so I just need a switch and no patch panel is needed. I don't see the point of the patch panel. So I just got the wrong thing. This is what I am looking at since I will be installing PoE cameras soon.
Since you have already done the punch down, i would leave it.
Verify that the cameras you want to use are 802.af POE standard. There are lots of devices that use non standard power over ethernet.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS