[SOLVED] No Connection through switch

Apr 10, 2020
I have an Aris BGW210-700 Router and I can't connect through a switch. My home is already pre-wired with CAT5e. I tried all of the plates in the house and none worked so I opened the panel on the wall and noticed that all of the wires had been pulled out of the switch. I did my research and got a punch and whatnot, connected the wires and nothing. I got a new basic switch Steren 550-030. I tested my cables and they are good (568A). Tested each cable with the first port on the router and connected. I then put one in port 1 and connected it to the first port on the switch. I connected the next cable to the 2nd port on the switch and to my laptop. No connection. Is there something I need to do with the router? I hope this was enough info. Thanks in advance! Oh the original switch in the wall is an OnQ 1x9.

Solution
Thank you for your reply.

I am very new to this. Do I need both? How exactly would I connect them? What would the router connect to? I have 8 cables that I need to hook up that are going to each room.
Depending on how convenient everything is to each other, you would either jumper 1 port from the router to the switch I linked then the other switch ports to your patch panel OR if the router is in say the living room, you could use the in-wall cabling to bring a port from the router to port 1 of the patch panel. Then you just connect it to the switch and all the other switch ports to the other patch panel ports.

What you purchased is the equivalent of a bunch of the keystone jacks like each room has in a compact package...

kanewolf

Titan
I have an Aris BGW210-700 Router and I can't connect through a switch. My home is already pre-wired with CAT5e. I tried all of the plates in the house and none worked so I opened the panel on the wall and noticed that all of the wires had been pulled out of the switch. I did my research and got a punch and whatnot, connected the wires and nothing. I got a new basic switch Steren 550-030. I tested my cables and they are good (568A). Tested each cable with the first port on the router and connected. I then put one in port 1 and connected it to the first port on the switch. I connected the next cable to the 2nd port on the switch and to my laptop. No connection. Is there something I need to do with the router? I hope this was enough info. Thanks in advance! Oh the original switch in the wall is an OnQ 1x9.
A Steren 550-030 is NOT a switch. It is a termination panel -- https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812996075
Connected to each of those RJ45 ports on the Steren you need something like this -- https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-sg1008d-8-x-rj45/p/N82E16833704043
A powered device. A no-power device is like ther Steren is not a switch, just a patch panel.

Reactions: RealBeast
Apr 10, 2020

I am very new to this. Do I need both? How exactly would I connect them? What would the router connect to? I have 8 cables that I need to hook up that are going to each room.

kanewolf

Titan

Depending on how convenient everything is to each other, you would either jumper 1 port from the router to the switch I linked then the other switch ports to your patch panel OR if the router is in say the living room, you could use the in-wall cabling to bring a port from the router to port 1 of the patch panel. Then you just connect it to the switch and all the other switch ports to the other patch panel ports.

What you purchased is the equivalent of a bunch of the keystone jacks like each room has in a compact package. That is why there is no connectivity between ports 1 and 2. You can use each of the RJ45 ports just like a wire. So if you only want 4 rooms connected AND your router is close to the patch panel, you could run 4 jumper cables to 4 ports. You would then have four rooms in your house connected. If you want more than 4 ports active, then you buy the switch and connect one port of the switch to the router.

Internet -> modem -> router -> switch -> patch ports ---> wall plug -> device
OR
Internet -> modem -> router -> patch ports ---> wall plug -> device

Solution
Apr 10, 2020
Ok so I just need a switch and no patch panel is needed. I don't see the point of the patch panel. So I just got the wrong thing. This is what I am looking at since I will be installing PoE cameras soon.

kanewolf

Titan
Ok so I just need a switch and no patch panel is needed. I don't see the point of the patch panel. So I just got the wrong thing. This is what I am looking at since I will be installing PoE cameras soon.
Since you have already done the punch down, i would leave it.
Verify that the cameras you want to use are 802.af POE standard. There are lots of devices that use non standard power over ethernet.