No connection & Unidentified network

sein

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hello, I am having trouble with my E Machines pc...I get an unable to connect to the internet message every time I click on the internet browser icon...I went into it and found a no connectivity and unidentified network reading...it just will not connect to the internet...it also says something is wrong with my modem and router...it was working fine before so I decided to hook up the ethernet cable to my Acer laptop and it works fine...I get a good connection but if I disconnect the ethernet cable and reconnect it to my desk top, I get the same message..."unable to display page...unidentified network...no connectivity...local connection only...???

I already tried to reset winsock...and nothing...start in safe mode...tried to restrore the system but for some reason there are no restore dates I can use to go back to before it encountered this problem.

I read something about Microsoft's update...but I'm not sure how that would help if I deleted the update...

Don't know what else to do!?!?!?!

Can anyone help?

stuckless

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
So it does work when you connect the cable to the Acer laptop.

Is there a static IP set in the network adapter? (that can be found in the control panel, under networking in XP and Networking and Sharing Center in 7)

also if you hit the command prompt and type in an ipconfig /all, what do you get?