No connection with built-in WiFi antenna?

Hi!
I have recently had cable installed, to celebrate this I bought a second hand Netgear MR 814 v2, to use as wireless router with my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600. The Toshiba has in fact a built-in WiFi (802.11b) antenna in its lid. The Netgear router deal included an USB-antenna, and everything works just fine as long as I use this USB-antenna to wirelessly connect to the Netgear router. But, of course, I want to use my built in antenna. Here's where the problem (and question in this forum) appears: The Toshiba wireless card is recognized and found working by Windows. In the Network Connections view, a disabled wireless connection between card and router is registered, BUT it seems as it's impossible to fire up a connection!
I have, via the browser interface to the Netgear router, configured the wireless connection to adress the MAC-adress of Toshibas wireless card (got this by cmd > getmac), doesnt work though.
I'm sure the built-in antenna works alright, when fiddling around with this, and watching the news on TV, the TV was totally interfered as long as I had my laptops antenna active..

All answers are apreciated/
wade

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 03:26:02 -0700, "wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi!
>I have recently had cable installed, to celebrate this I bought a second hand Netgear MR 814 v2, to use as wireless router with my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600. The Toshiba has in fact a built-in WiFi (802.11b) antenna in its lid. The Netgear router deal included an USB-antenna, and everything works just fine as long as I use this USB-antenna to wirelessly connect to the Netgear router. But, of course, I want to use my built in antenna. Here's where the problem (and question in this forum) appears: The Toshiba wireless card is recognized and found working by Windows. In the Network Connections view, a disabled wireless connection between card and router is registered, BUT it seems as it's impossible to fire up a connection!
>I have, via the browser interface to the Netgear router, configured the wireless connection to adress the MAC-adress of Toshibas wireless card (got this by cmd > getmac), doesnt work though.
>I'm sure the built-in antenna works alright, when fiddling around with this, and watching the news on TV, the TV was totally interfered as long as I had my laptops antenna active..
>
>All answers are apreciated/
>wade

Wade,

Does the Toshiba diagnostics provide a signal strength indicator? If so, have
you observed its behaviour with the router on? And off?

Does the Wireless Network Connection wizard show the Toshiba in the list of
available networks?

Does the router have an activity log? Does the log provide any diagnostic
indicating activity observed with the Toshiba?

Have you disabled WEP / WPA on the router to start?

Cheers,
Chuck