No connectivity with modem

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hi,

I'll keep this as simple as possible. I have a great connection, and it's through a router. 15Mbits down, 2MBits up.

So, currently I'm using my desktop with Windows 7 - I have one modem, and one router. The internet works. I take out the router, and wire the modem directly to my desktop, and I have no connectivity.

Things I've done to solve it:

-Turn off firewalls
-Turn off 3rd party software/anti-virus software
-Tried new Ethernet cable
-Restarted PC
-Disabled LAN and re-enabled

**UPDATE: Wired Laptop to modem. It worked, no problems. PC to modem, still having issues.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

I wouldn't know how to verify that, could you explain? The issue is on my desktop, by the way. The laptop was used to test the modems connectivity, and it worked. Windows 7 just can't seem to identify the modem I guess.

@grumpy9117: http://img218.imageshack.us/i/modemj.png/

G

Check your nose! Did you even click on the link to the screen shot of ipconfig/all?

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Did you check for a Proxy Server in Internet Explorer?

Yeah, there's nothing there. I called my ISP last night, and it just seems like my modem just won't work without my router. The guys on the phone said they had no idea why, and to contact my PC's manufacturer...well, I built my PC, so who would I contact -_-

But, in any case...a technician came out today. He said he's aware of the issue, and it's been going around the area, but I really think he gave me a boatload of crap, because he didn't do anything. He said to give it 48 hours, and that if it persists, to call his personal number. I guess that's iron clad, since he gave me his personal info.

He also stated that whatever happens in respect to internet, is strictly an issue with the modem. It's a service issue. I don't know if that's a valid statement or not, but I guess I'll have to wait two days and see.

The reason I wanted to remove the router and hardwire directly into the modem is to reduce my latency in Aion. It's 500+ with Optimum Boost Service (30MBits Down/5MBits up)...speakeasy.net shows that both are reaching their peak speeds. Their servers are located in Texas, but my ping shouldn't be this high.