No Defragmentation Tool Is Currently Installed

after going through "My Computer", Right clicking on C: Drive, clicking on
Properties, Tool Tab... that is the message where defrag usually is located.

Any suggestions on how to get my defrag tool back?

Craig

"Joseph_Kerr" <Joseph_Kerr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

> after going through "My Computer", Right clicking on C: Drive, clicking on
> Properties, Tool Tab... that is the message where defrag usually is
> located.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get my defrag tool back?

Strange. How about
"Start/AllPrograms/Accessories/SystemTools/DiskDefragmenter"?

Craig

"Joseph_Kerr" <Joseph_Kerr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after going through "My Computer", Right clicking on C: Drive, clicking on
> Properties, Tool Tab... that is the message where defrag usually is
> located.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get my defrag tool back?

Try reinstalling the Defrag Tool.

Start > Run and type

inf

This should bring up the "Inf" foldet located at "c:\windows\inf" then
locate "drfg.inf" and right-click to select "Install".

Good Luck

--
William

Joseph

Using Windows Explorer look for file dfrg.msc in c:\windows
\system32\dfrg.msc. If you double click dfrg.msc it should start Disk
Defragmenter. You can also put a shortcut on your desktop by right
clicking, selecting Create shortcut and dragging the result to your
Desktop.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Joseph_Kerr" <Joseph_Kerr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after going through "My Computer", Right clicking on C: Drive,
> clicking on
> Properties, Tool Tab... that is the message where defrag usually is
> located.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get my defrag tool back?

WTC

An interesting contribution. However, did you mean to type "dfrg.inf"?

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
> WTC
>
> An interesting contribution. However, did you mean to type "dfrg.inf"?

Yes, that would be the correct one and thanks for catching the typo. To the
OP, sorry about the typo in my previous post.

--
William

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:20:55 +0100, "Gerry Cornell"
<gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote:

>WTC
>
>An interesting contribution. However, did you mean to type "dfrg.inf"?

Looks like the old "transposed letters" error.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

Jim

"Joseph_Kerr" <Joseph_Kerr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after going through "My Computer", Right clicking on C: Drive, clicking on
> Properties, Tool Tab... that is the message where defrag usually is
> located.
No, that is where a shortcut to the defrag tool is usually located. The
program is located elsewhere.

> Any suggestions on how to get my defrag tool back?
Create a shortcut to dfrag on your desktop.
Jim

Fix the "DefragPath" value in this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\DefragPath

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT.
Navigate to the above location:
In the right-pane, double-click (default) and set it's data to:

%systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc %c:
(if REG_EXPAND_SZ)

C:\Windows\system32\dfrg.msc %c:
(if REG_SZ)

Alternately, reinstalling Defrag using the INF file should fix the above
value automatically. The following was recently posted by Bert Kinney:

<quote>

The following file is located in a hidden folder.
To view hidden files follow these steps:
Open Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab, select "Show hidden
files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types",
click OK.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the windows\inf folder.

Find the dfrg.inf file, right click on it and select Install. You may
be asked for the XP CD.

</quote>

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP