[SOLVED] No difference in framerate between min and max settings

vstubbsv.stubbs

Commendable
Jan 7, 2019
Hello folks, I have a bit of a predicament on my hands.

I play many numbers of games, and I've started to notice an interesting theme in my framerate with them. I have noticed that no matter my settings, on triple-A titles, I tend to always get the same-ish framerate no matter the settings. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Destiny 2 - 60 min 95 avg 144 max fps (monitor cap)
Black Ops 4 -84 min 108 avg 144max (monitor cap
pretty much most other titles -60 min to 144 max

what I am mainly focusing on are Destiny 2 and Black Ops 4 and why no matter the settings I put, the framerate min and (sometimes) max are unchanged? I would assume currently a bottleneck, but my specs are pretty solid.

(Picture of specs through speccy) https://photos.app.goo.gl/bzZRgPQU4dWBij3K7

Thanks!

Edit:

Important

Even when framerate is uncapped in every way (monitor lock, vsync, etc) the average framerate in all games when benchmarked in very isolated manners, is unchanged no matter graphics settings enabled (very low to ultra)

Solution
Ok that makes much more sense.. try turning resolution scale to max in destiny 2 and see what happens. This setting should drop your fps very low. If you are getting 90 it should drop to like 30. This setting basically renders the game in 4k at max. I usually run it at 1.3 to help with aliasing. It will be interesting to see if any single settings like this change the fps.

So you are getting let's say 77 average fps In destiny on low, high, ultra setting. Very strange. It doesn't even move a little bit?

vstubbsv.stubbs

Commendable
Jan 7, 2019

Psu is brand new, I am running mixed ram bios is up to date for sure, system as a whole? the motherboard and cpu are oldest at 5 years

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I don't really follow, why are you giving us min max which doesn't help. When comparing you need average fps. You get 60min and 144max on destiny, ok, so what, this tells us nothing. It means you hit no lower than 60 or higher than 144, but what is the fps during 10m of gameplay? It's all about average fps.

Try using avg fps and you should notice changes. Don't think your system could run 144fps avg in destiny. What are you running to track frame rate?

You have to have cap on. It's not a coincidence your max fps is just randomly 144fps, I bet your display is 144hz and it's capping max to the max hz. I would make a bet on that, the odds of it are so crazy low each game randomly hits a high frame of 144, no way it's random. Every game is so different, it's just not possible that they all cap randomly at 144, if so go buy lottery tickets because you are going to win.

You might have vsync off but capping another way. It's not a big deal, the more important issue is give us average fps

vstubbsv.stubbs

Commendable
Jan 7, 2019

First, I'd like to apologize for my miscommunication. The point im trying to strike here, is no matter what, even when uncapped (i also put next to the 144 max that it was a frame cap) the framerate avg, even when benchmarking the games in very specific and isolated ways, the framerate is never changed no matter the settings. Unlike a normal system, where a change in graphics settings from very low to ultra can change framerate upwards of hundreds of frames, it never changes a thing. even when uncapped framerate is on. so, to clarify, when uncapped, average framerate is unchanged no matter the graphics settings enabled

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Ok that makes much more sense.. try turning resolution scale to max in destiny 2 and see what happens. This setting should drop your fps very low. If you are getting 90 it should drop to like 30. This setting basically renders the game in 4k at max. I usually run it at 1.3 to help with aliasing. It will be interesting to see if any single settings like this change the fps.

So you are getting let's say 77 average fps In destiny on low, high, ultra setting. Very strange. It doesn't even move a little bit?

Solution

vstubbsv.stubbs

Commendable
Jan 7, 2019

at most 3 frames per second. yeah.