Question No display after attempting to change CPU cooler

Aug 27, 2021
Hello, I am a rookie builder so I know I made a lot of mistakes but I request your help nonetheless. My specs are as follows.
  • Prebuilt PC: Asus GL10DH (I’ve changed multiple parts, mostly just the fans.)
  • GPU: Zotac 2060
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard: ASUS GL10DH (variant of ASUS PRIME B450M-K)
  • PSU: Great Wall 500 Watt Gold
  • Ram: Samsung 8GB 2666 DDR4 PC4-21300 (x2, 16gb total)
  • TOSHIBA 1TB HDD
  • Some 500GB SSD

Up until the no signal incident, I was changing parts standing on carpet in my room. I know it’s bad please forgive me. What happened was that I wanted to replace the Ryzen Wraith Prism CPU cooler with a new one and I ordered one that was too big. A screw fell into the system along with a fin shaped piece of metal that I cut off my case that I didn’t think much of regretfully. Upon plugging my GPU and Ryzen Wraith Prism CPU Cooler back in, I had no display signal yet the fans, LEDs, and motherboard were running. I’ve taken the following troubleshooting steps yet nothing helped nor made any difference whatsoever.

• Tried inserting old GPU, still no signal (GTX 1660TI, Display Port)
  • Checked monitor input, no issues with monitor
  • Tried using GPU HDMI instead (2060)
  • Tried using motherboard VGA port on my TV with a VGA -> HDMI adapter (graphics card was still inserted)
  • Tried using different display port cable
  • Took out CMOS Battery and reinserted
  • Shorted CMOS Pins
  • Tried to boot from 1 Ram Stick only
  • Finally Purchased a whole New Motherboard today and rebuilt making sure there was no loose screws or metal in the areas I could access in my case (bottom of case where PSU/HDD is filled with wires so I couldn’t remove still no signal. (ASUS TUF B450 PLUS II)

At this point I’m sick to the core as my PC has basically been bricked over me trying to change a $30 cpu cooler. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Also I do not have a motherboard speaker.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Some possible things I can think of are:

• If you cleaned the CPU and maybe bent a crucial pin reinserting. Check your CPU. It is a Ryzen so a pin could have broken?
  • Loose power connections? Are your CPU and Motherboard power cables correctly plugged in?
  • Was the 1 ram you did test bad? Did you try multiple different RAMs?
  • Try going as bare as possible with the most amount of isolation possible. Could be a short somewhere? Try booting the system with as close to bare minimum on like a table or something having the parts isolated.
I also hear sometimes, can't verify this, but It could help, that slow ram and some motherboards are not compatible. Since its a display issue, I really think it could be the ram, something wrong with the ram. Most display issues I've had have been ram related. Try the other ram stick, I saw you had 2x8.

Reactions: HappyTrails
Aug 27, 2021
Some possible things I can think of are:

• If you cleaned the CPU and maybe bent a crucial pin reinserting. Check your CPU. It is a Ryzen so a pin could have broken?
  • Loose power connections? Are your CPU and Motherboard power cables correctly plugged in?
  • Was the 1 ram you did test bad? Did you try multiple different RAMs?
  • Try going as bare as possible with the most amount of isolation possible. Could be a short somewhere? Try booting the system with as close to bare minimum on like a table or something having the parts isolated.
I also hear sometimes, can't verify this, but It could help, that slow ram and some motherboards are not compatible. Since its a display issue, I really think it could be the ram, something wrong with the ram. Most display issues I've had have been ram related. Try the other ram stick, I saw you had 2x8.

Hello and thank you for your response, You were correct about it being ram related. I was tweaking with the PC and decided to boot off one stick of my brothers 8GB 3600MHZ Corsair Ram and it worked. After removing that one my other ram sticks magically also began to work but one when 1 out of 2 of them is inserted. When both are inserted at the same time I get the no signal again. Any idea what the issue could be?

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Hello and thank you for your response, You were correct about it being ram related. I was tweaking with the PC and decided to boot off one stick of my brothers 8GB 3600MHZ Corsair Ram and it worked. After removing that one my other ram sticks magically also began to work but one when 1 out of 2 of them is inserted. When both are inserted at the same time I get the no signal again. Any idea what the issue could be?
Could be that one of the ram sticks are dead? Perhaps the ram slot is bad? And lastly but probably unlikely the ram contacts are dirty. That's all I can think of.

Since you know one stick of ram works, move it to the other slot and see if it boots with only that stick installed. If so then the slot is probably ok. Then try the other stick by itself.

Also once you get it running you might want to switch out that Great Wall power supply