Question No Display after building friends PC

ChopAxePiece

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Hey all,

I've done some forum dredging and have found similar problems to mine but the solutions don't seem to work for my problem. (short on the MB etc)

Basically I've built a PC for my friend and all the parts was compatible with the motherboard has he got them off pcpartspicker.
After assembling everything i fired it up but got no display. i searched and searched and the same problems was appearing but not with my MB.

I took the CPU off, checked for pins and 1 was slightly bent, i managed to straighten it under a magnifying glass, reseated and carried on assembling out of the case.
I powered it up and the LED debug lights was flashing CPU for a split second then lit up DRAM for a slightly longer pause then it would repeat. Still no Display.

I then tried with 1 stick of RAM in 1 of the 2 slots on my MB, Leaving the other empty. The lights flashed back and forth then stayed lit up on DRAM, so i powered down, changed it over to the other RAM slot, same thing happened. I done the same thing with both sticks and it done the same on both. Stayed lit on DRAM after about a minute of alternate flashing.

I cant figure for the life of me why it wont give me display, the RAM i have says its compatible with with MB but I'm having doubts or is this a more sinister problem.

Motherboard is a MSI H310M Pro M2 Plus
Ram is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 16GB ( x2 )
CPU is Intel i5-9600F

When i checked to see if everything should marry up it did say some boards may need a BIOS update but i don't have a spare LGA 1151 socket CPU to hand to even attempt to get it to fire up and be able to update it (That's if its even the problem)

Everything lights up and works as it should when fully assembled and inside the case which had me scratching my head even more.

Id be absolutely grateful if anyone can shine any light on a fix or is it a scratched MB and order another one

Thanks
Karl

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Two possible, most likely problems. One or the other or both.

Bent cpu pin, even though straightened, could have bent again. Or possibly another pin has bent since. These pins are very delicate and much care is needed when installing a processor. Pins associated with ram are on the outer, so dram errors could be the result of persisting bent pin or pins.

Bios incompatible board. Is there a sticker on the motherboard or box indicating what bios version it has?

B365 support F cpus from box.

Trying to salvage parts you have may need to visit a PC store to get it checked and bios updated with a compatible processor.

ChopAxePiece

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Two possible, most likely problems. One or the other or both.

Bent cpu pin, even though straightened, could have bent again. Or possibly another pin has bent since. These pins are very delicate and much care is needed when installing a processor. Pins associated with ram are on the outer, so dram errors could be the result of persisting bent pin or pins.

Bios incompatible board. Is there a sticker on the motherboard or box indicating what bios version it has?

B365 support F cpus from box.

Trying to salvage parts you have may need to visit a PC store to get it checked and bios updated with a compatible processor.

Thanks for the reply. I've not got the box to hand but I'll post it soon as I can find it if it's there.

When I reseated the CPU I couldn't see anymore bent pins. I'll take the CPU off and reexamine. The bent pin was about 4 in from the top right and about 4 down.

The MB came out the same month as the CPU so surely you would think its capable of running it.

ChopAxePiece

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Intel Core i5-9600KF 3.7 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory
GPU Nvidia GTX 1060
MSI H310M PRO-M2 PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Aerocool integrator 500W ATX PSU
Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Kingston A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
ARCTIC Freezer 7 X CO CPU Cooler

I got the motherboard wrong in my initial post 😬

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you get a chance have a look at the cpu and check which stepping you have. SRG12 (RO) or SRFAD (PO).

Stepping information here; Click on Ordering and Compliance.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9600kf-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

Example picture of stepping number, SRG12.

Intel-Core-i5-9600KF-3-7G-CPU-i5-9600KF-socket-LGA1151-14nm-six-core-CPU-free.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

RO stepping support from Bios 7C09v12.zip, release date 2019-04-11. Initial version is 7C09v10 2018-07-12 . Determining which motherboard Bios is in place will be difficult if there are no description of it either on the motherboard via sticker or motherboard box.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H310M-PRO-VDH-PLUS#support-cpu

Reactions: ChopAxePiece

ChopAxePiece

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
If you get a chance have a look at the cpu and check which stepping you have. SRG12 (RO) or SRFAD (PO).

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9600kf-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

Intel-Core-i5-9600KF-3-7G-CPU-i5-9600KF-socket-LGA1151-14nm-six-core-CPU-free.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

RO stepping support from Bios 7C09v12.zip, release date 2019-04-11. Initial version is 7C09v10 2018-07-12 . Determining which motherboard Bios is in place will be difficult if there are no description of it either on the motherboard via sticker or motherboard box.

I'll update after work later on today, Thanks for the info. Im hoping its a bent pin that can be straightened out

ChopAxePiece

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013

Hi bud,

I've checked the CPU and the stepping number is

SRELU 3.7GHZ

ChopAxePiece

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
I might just have to piece it together and let him take it to a repair shop and let them deal with the headache. If the MBs cooked I'll have to buy him a new one. When I lifted the CPU before I noticed about 4 bent pins. I've tried lifting them but it's hard to tell.

Is a socket replacement a hard job or expensive?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I might just have to piece it together and let him take it to a repair shop and let them deal with the headache. If the MBs cooked I'll have to buy him a new one. When I lifted the CPU before I noticed about 4 bent pins. I've tried lifting them but it's hard to tell.

Is a socket replacement a hard job or expensive?

More often than not, it's a replacement. Nor will physical damage be covered by the warranty.

ChopAxePiece

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
I conceded and just bought a new MB. I took the CPU off and seen about 4 bent pins...one ended up snapping and i just thought F**K IT !!! New MOBO comes in 2 days, Ya Ya for Amazon Prime haha