[SOLVED] No display after changing Ram

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
I have a lenovo e41 15 laptop.
I replaced the 4gb ddr3 800mhz 1.35V ram with a 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 1.35V ram. But after changing the ram i pressed the power button but there is no display coming up. Again i put back my old ram then the windows boots.
I checked crucial.com and found that the spec of the new ram is correct and it should work on my laptop.
I dont know what to do !! Help me please !!!

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/lenovo-e41-15/CT9951390
Assuming you ordered this ^

It should be compatible and you seem like you know how to install RAM properly. Chances are you have a RAM shipped dead on arrival. I'd contact Crucial about it and get a replacement.

Just in case, also try updating to the latest windows and updating your device's firmware in Device Manager. Simply by click on the "Computer" section > ACPI x64-based PC > right click > search for update

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/lenovo-e41-15/CT9951390
Assuming you ordered this ^

It should be compatible and you seem like you know how to install RAM properly. Chances are you have a RAM shipped dead on arrival. I'd contact Crucial about it and get a replacement.

Just in case, also try updating to the latest windows and updating your device's firmware in Device Manager. Simply by click on the "Computer" section > ACPI x64-based PC > right click > search for update
I did not buy the ram from crucial. I just checked the website to check whether my ram specs match those listed in that website.
I will try to update my firmware..and see if that solves the problem.

I did not buy the ram from crucial. I just checked the website to check whether my ram specs match those listed in that website.
I will try to update my firmware..and see if that solves the problem.

If it is the exact same model as the RAM in the link I posted above and updating the firmware doesn't work, or you can't update it, then the only thing I can tell you is that the RAM is possibly DOA and needs to be returned/replaced.

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
If it is the exact same model as the RAM in the link I posted above and updating the firmware doesn't work, or you can't update it, then the only thing I can tell you is that the RAM is possibly DOA and needs to be returned/replaced.
Thanks for your reply.
I tried updating my bios..but it is already at the latest version. I think i should return the product. Is there any way to check the ram whether it is working or not other than installing it in laptop ?

Thanks for your reply.
I tried updating my bios..but it is already at the latest version. I think i should return the product. Is there any way to check the ram whether it is working or not other than installing it in laptop ?

Unless you have another laptop that supports that RAM nearby or from a friend, there really isn't anything you can do to verify if the ram really works and it's just your laptop. You can try looking at the serial number on the ram (if it has the tag on it) and search online if it's legit. Since you say you didn't buy it from Crucial themselves maybe you got scammed or were given the wrong ram module that isn't compatible.

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
Unless you have another laptop that supports that RAM nearby or from a friend, there really isn't anything you can do to verify if the ram really works and it's just your laptop. You can try looking at the serial number on the ram (if it has the tag on it) and search online if it's legit. Since you say you didn't buy it from Crucial themselves maybe you got scammed or were given the wrong ram module that isn't compatible.
I checked the RAM by installing it in another laptop..same problem. It is a defective Ram module ....gonna return it. Hope i get full refund😁 with which i could buy a new one in the local stores.

Update : I checked it with a wrong laptop that doesn't support that frequency. Later i installed it in a laptop that supports 1866mhz and found that the ram module is working fine. I think just because my processor doesn't support no more than 1600mhz the new ram is not working. But why it isn't downclocking ??

Last edited:
According to crucial site your laptop requires 1024Meg x 64 • chips, that Aliexpress Chinese site doesn't even tell you that. I is best to get the number off the original stick an try to find a 8GB version of it or go to a site that guarantees it to work in your PC. Not all ddr3 memory is compatible just because it is DDR3 and the right frequency and voltage does not mean it will work, there is a lot more to matching memory than that. Sometimes you can find the Crucial number online cheaper.

Last edited:

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
According to crucial site your laptop requires 1024Meg x 64 • chips, that Aliexpress Chinese site doesn't even tell you that. I is best to get the number off the original stick an try to find a 8GB version of it or go to a site that guarantees it to work in your PC. Not all ddr3 memory is compatible just because it is DDR3 and the right frequency and voltage does not mean it will work, there is a lot more to matching memory than that. Sometimes you can find the Crucial number online cheaper.
Thanks for your reply !

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=16oBX_jqCBFv9zUsvHZInKrNX5vpIenPy

This is the new ram that i bought. I dont know how to find whether it is a 1024meg × 64 or not. What I found is it has totally 16 chips (8 in front and 8 in back). And my old 4gb module has 8 chips ( 4 in front and 4 in back). Is that the reason why the new ram is not working ???
I thought it is a dead module.

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
Update : I checked it with a wrong laptop that doesn't support that frequency. Later i installed it in a laptop that supports 1866mhz and found that the ram module is working fine. I think just because my processor doesn't support no more than 1600mhz the new ram is not working. But why it isn't downclocking ??