No Display after CPU install

Aarron180491

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Hey guys i just tried to install a CPU which i got from my brother out of his old system as its better than mine and it worked perfect before i tried it mine its about 6 months old and i have tried to put it in mine and i get no display message on my monitor and my keyboard and mouse will not turn on. If i change back to my old CPU everything comes on and works fine my specs are Asus H81M-Plus motherboard
MSI GTX 1070 8GB
Old CPU is I5 4430
New CPU which wont work I5 4590
PSU Corsair 500w
X2 Corsair vengeance 4GB RAM

Also I have downloaded and installed the latest BIOS update which Asus told me to download and install, the correct version of BIOS shows in settings

Look at that chip closely for any bent pins. All other things being equal, since both chips are Haswells, there's no reason why one should work and the other not. I'd put it back in that old system and see if it works. Hopefully nothing was damaged.

I doubt you'll notice much difference in general all around performance between the two chips since only 300MHz separates them. But if it was given to you, all the better.

Aarron180491

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017

I downloaded update file for the processor from Asus website extracted it on a FAT32 usb drive rebooted into bios and used EZ flash or something like that could too little or too much thermal paste cause these issues?

Aarron180491

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017

Ok I downloaded the asus suite which was the only thing I could find to update it online everything directed me to that I then installed the downloaded file as using search online just said no need to update but it's still not working

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Is the PC actually booting and staying on, besides the mouse and keyboards not turning on, (fans spinning, HDs working, maybe even speakers working etc.) and just not displaying anything with the newer CPU? Or is the entire PC not booting or posting? It sounds like a bent pin or two to be honest with you..those cpus have the exact same power requirements and consumption, and the exact same architecture, so your PSU and motherboard can be ruled out. Also, the fact that everything works fine with the older chip and not the newer one, even after updating the bios, means there is probably something wrong the CPU itself.

Aarron180491

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017

I dont know how the pins would of bent as it was taken out carefully and was working before and i placed it in carefully as well i think ill just take it to a computer shop and ask them to test cpu and fit it