[SOLVED] No Display After Crash

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
My Sapphire rx580 pulse came back from RMA yesterday and today While Playing AC Odyssey since 6 hours I encountered a black screen crash so I Thought I'd Restart my pc , After The Shut Down when I Turned it on There was no display error , Just Check Signal Cable error .

I installed the latest GPU Drivers Beforehand , I Used my old gt710 and it worked , I Rebooted the rx580 in safe mode and still no luck , I tried assembling the whole pc again but still no luck with RX580 . Now I'm using the gt710 again , As my GPU Just came back from RMA I'm Not sure this time its the GPU

Im using a single DDR3 8 gb ram Stick and GPU Fans , CPU Fan are spinning , Even the bios Screen Doesnt come up , Im using Hdmi but Also tried with DP

What Should I do now?

I'm currently using
Intel i5-3470
8gb DDR3 ram
Cooler master MWE 550W
Gt 710 ( Earlier rx580)
Gigabyte H61m-s motherboard

Last edited:
Solution
Old RAM is not faulty ....i have a side PC (for mining ....10x7) assembled in 2014 using 1600 DDR3 Corsair ....almost the same Gigabyte H81M-S1 mobo working fine ....why did you not check RAM @ friend's PC.

I got good PC life because I change my branded PSU (CORSAIR OR GIGABYTE) as soon as it gets out of warranty (3 years) ....and always opt 150 more watts for efficient (less electricity bills) and noiseless operation plus I am using APC back UPS (there is electric problems in our area).

Perform stress test like memtest86 to eliminate RAM buy installing it on your and then on friend's PC.
May be RAM will pass test on your friend's PC and not on your PC .....this can also help you to conclude that your RAM is ok and there...

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Are you listening to beeps (if any).........since your GT 710 is working on same system ...then surely it's Sapphire rx580 OR your power supply not taking load of rx580.....try changing PSU.
No beeps , A Update tho

I tried Installing the gpu in my friend's pc and Display worked but not correctly...

I manged to get display but these were the results:

https://ibb.co/6HQW8Zr

If the gpu atleast shows something on my friend's pc and nothing on my pc is this coz of my motherboard?

Last edited:

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Nope.....never ever connect a 6 pin gpu to 4 pin........you may damage mobo or card or psu.

Also try using different ports....like (DVI OR HDMI OR VGA) after connecting it toa PSU with 6 pin.

One display port DVI may not work but luckily HDMI OR VGA may work...so try them on good quality PSU with 6 pin.

I am afraid to tell you.... that's the simple way....or you can check your PSU voltages using Multimeter (but that's more complicated and tedious way)....link

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Nope.....never ever connect a 6 pin gpu to 4 pin........you may damage mobo or card or psu.

Also try using different ports....like (DVI OR HDMI OR VGA) after connecting it toa PSU with 6 pin.

One display port DVI may not work but luckily HDMI OR VGA may work...so try them on good quality PSU with 6 pin.

I am afraid to tell you.... that's the simple way....or you can check your PSU voltages using Multimeter (but that's more complicated and tedious way)....link
what about 6 pin to 8 pin?

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
what about 6 pin to 8 pin?

I am not aware about PSU with 8 pin connector for GPU (it may be a fact that the latest GPUs may require an 8 pin connectors ...hence PSU with 8 pins for connecting GPU may be available ....which may be backward compatible to 6 pin (available as 4+2 format in PSUs) GPUs... but as far as I know....generally 8 pin is for CPU.

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
I am not aware about PSU with 8 pin connector for GPU (it may be a fact that the latest GPUs may require an 8 pin connectors ...hence PSU with 8 pins for connecting GPU may be available ....which may be backward compatible to 6 pin (available as 4+2 format in PSUs) GPUs... but as far as I know....generally 8 pin is for CPU.
Okay , I connected the gpu with a 8 pin and the results were same , I was still getting distorted display and pc crashed during installing drivers , I Tried installing in Safe mode and It just went showed An error Occured .

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Okay , I connected the gpu with a 8 pin and the results were same , I was still getting distorted display and pc crashed during installing drivers , I Tried installing in Safe mode and It just went showed An error Occured .

Have you tried connecting it to other display ports like DVI & HDMI etc and have you tried installing it on legacy & UEFI BIOS settings?

Then finally, we can conclude that on a working and healthy system you have tried installing your card.....hence you need to send it again for RMA.

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Have you tried connecting it to other display ports like DVI & HDMI etc and have you tried installing it on legacy & UEFI BIOS settings?

Then finally, we can conclude that on a working and healthy system you have tried installing your card.....hence you need to send it again for RMA.
I tried Display port and HDMI and Display port to VGA converter . But yesterday I went to PC Repair Shops and They Told me the motherboard was the fault and needs to be repaired . I'll get the motherboard repaired and Update on the working of GPU

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018

Theres Nothing Wrong with the motherboard , I think its the psu now as there have been some lockups and Recurring failure of Gpu . There are no
Symptoms for faulty Motherboard , My PSU is under warranty , Is there Any way to troubleshoot the PSU myself?

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Theres Nothing Wrong with the motherboard , I think its the psu now as there have been some lockups and Recurring failure of Gpu . There are no
Symptoms for faulty Motherboard , My PSU is under warranty , Is there Any way to troubleshoot the PSU myself?

Your replies ......make me guess that you are in distress...(it's not uncommon when suddenly PC stops working....and you are not able to guess what's wrong ....I have been in such situations......long time back ...2 components of my only PC had failed simultaneously...it was very hard to conclude)....it took me time to arrive at conclusion.

I would suggest you to CALM down and think cleverly........earlier you already stated that you have checked your GPU on healthy/working system (of a friend i guess) and your GPU was not working there......

Double check wattage required by system's PSU also check here....keeping PSU efficiency in mind ....check again your GPU on a healthy and system with efficient PSU (is it providing sufficient wattage.......before arriving at any conclusions.

I f your PSU is in warranty then why you wish to put yourself in hassle of troubleshooting it?

Reactions: norcalsc

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Your replies ......make me guess that you are in distress...(it's not uncommon when suddenly PC stops working....and you are not able to guess what's wrong ....I have been in such situations......long time back ...2 components of my only PC had failed simultaneously...it was very hard to conclude)....it took me time to arrive at conclusion.

I would suggest you to CALM down and think cleverly........earlier you already stated that you have checked your GPU on healthy/working system (of a friend i guess) and your GPU was not working there......

Double check wattage required by system's PSU also check here....keeping PSU efficiency in mind ....check again your GPU on a healthy and system with efficient PSU (is it providing sufficient wattage.......before arriving at any conclusions.

I f your PSU is in warranty then why you wish to put yourself in hassle of troubleshooting it?
The Thing is I'm Currently using my gt710 and my PC is working fine . (There are some loud airplane noises at start but i think thats the cpu fan ) When I use my Rx580 Using HDMI and DP to VGA Converter , There's no Display , Just Check SIgnal Cable error . I Installed the same rx580 on my Friend's PC and it worked but the display was distorted (I posted the results above) . I Thought that was because of drivers . I Tried Installing the drivers of rx580 on my friend's PC but the PC crashed , I tried Installing in Safe mode but some error came up .

My Gpu was first submitted into RMA on June 13 and Came Back on July 18 with no display , I deposited it back on the next day and got back the gpu on 11th August and same no display problem . Then I recieved it on 18 November and It Actually Worked And I Played 6hrs of AC Odyssey , Then suddenly There was a black screen Crash and I had to shut down as PC Froze with Black Screen , Since then I'm Getting no display on my PC with the GPU . But can get distorted display on my Friend's PC

I live in India And Most of PC repair shops in my city are Dishonest . I Went to the pc repair shops on 21st November . One of them said it was the motherboard , Said there was a short circuit . I've had a Motherboard Issue before when there was no display at all. I searched online for symptoms of Faulty motherboard and none of them Matched my situation .

When I was checking Faulty Motherboard Symptoms , I came upon Faulty PSU symptoms and Symptoms such as Lockups , Re-occurring Failure of PC parts matched my situation .

If you check my toms hardware history , I've been Facing these Problems Since March . All i want to know is the cause of these Problems and if its the psu what to say before Issuing an RMA OR Something else is wrong

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
I live in India And Most of PC repair shops in my city are Dishonest . I Went to the pc repair shops on 21st November . One of them said it was the motherboard , Said there was a short circuit . I've had a Motherboard Issue before when there was no display at all. I searched online for symptoms of Faulty motherboard and none of them Matched my situation .

Never ever take your out of warranty PC parts to un-authorized repair centers.........forget about India .....this holds true for the whole world.....expensive & original parts can be taken out ....and duplicates can be installed for the name of genuine repair procedures.....

Plz post your full PC parts with company name, warranty status and date of purchase.

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Never ever take your out of warranty PC parts to un-authorized repair centers.........forget about India .....this holds true for the whole world.....expensive & original parts can be taken out ....and duplicates can be installed for the name of genuine repair procedures.....

Plz post your full PC parts with company name, warranty status and date of purchase.

I'm currently using
Intel i5-3470 (2017)
8gb DDR3 ram (2018)
Cooler master MWE 550W (2019)
Gt 710 ( Earlier rx580) (Rx 580 Purchased on 2019 aug)
Gigabyte H61m-s motherboard(2017)

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
I'm currently using
Intel i5-3470 (2017)
8gb DDR3 ram (2018)
Cooler master MWE 550W (2019)
Gt 710 ( Earlier rx580) (Rx 580 Purchased on 2019 aug)
Gigabyte H61m-s motherboard(2017)
Rx 580 card company name (MSI OR ZOTAC OR GALAX OR GIGABYTE)??? also RAM company and frequency??Are you using extreme memory profile (a BIOS settings)??Have you updated your BIOS ever??

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Rx 580 card company name (MSI OR ZOTAC OR GALAX OR GIGABYTE)??? also RAM company and frequency??Are you using extreme memory profile (a BIOS settings)??Have you updated your BIOS ever??

Sapphire Nitro + and Sapphire pulse (They sent back pulse version from Rma) ( 8gb)

Sapphire Rx580 Nitro +

https://www.amazon.in/Sapphire-1126...subtag=tomshardware-in-6341324683451453000-21

Sapphire Rx580 pulse Edition
https://www.amazon.in/Sapphire-Puls...ords=rx+580&qid=1606653309&s=computers&sr=1-2

Ram : Hyper X furry 8gb DDR3
https://www.amazon.in/HyperX-1866MH...3&qid=1606720872&sprefix=hyper,aps,318&sr=8-3

I Don't Know About Extreme memory profile and My Bios version is F3 , Never Updated my bios , However I checked and there is a F3A version available but its beta Bios
https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherboard/GA-H61M-S-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Last edited:

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Hmm .....
Update* your BIOS to f3a (as it clearly states Improve High-End Display card compatibility)

*WARNING:

1) While updating make sure that PC is not rebooted/shutdown due to reasons like power disruption (UPS should be fully charged and in good condition etc. ...otherwise your mobo will need RMA.

2) I would recommend you using qflash from BIOS as OS like windows can encounter error (BSOD...etc.) while updating BIOS & process can get stuck.

3) Make sure CMOS Battery is OK & do not disrupt updating process even if it takes time.

After updating load & save SAFE default for BIOS ..shutdown PC ....then install GPU .....make sure it properly seated with default lock.....also make sure that RAM is installed properly.....also turn on legacy support for OS.

Extreme memory profile is setting in BIOS (you ram do support them) ....but I would suggest to turn it off (safe default settings in BIOS will turn it off I GUESS ....for enhanced RAM performance ...you can turn it on later once your are sure that GPU is working properly).

All of your parts are good brands .......except GPU (may be I am wrong ....but personally i don't like sapphire brand (I have good experience with Gigabyte, Evga and MSI GPUs....in order of preference).

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
Hmm .....
Update* your BIOS to f3a (as it clearly states Improve High-End Display card compatibility)

*WARNING:

1) While updating make sure that PC is not rebooted/shutdown due to reasons like power disruption (UPS should be fully charged and in good condition etc. ...otherwise your mobo will need RMA.

2) I would recommend you using qflash from BIOS as OS like windows can encounter error (BSOD...etc.) while updating BIOS & process can get stuck.

3) Make sure CMOS Battery is OK & do not disrupt updating process even if it takes time.

After updating load & save SAFE default for BIOS ..shutdown PC ....then install GPU .....make sure it properly seated with default lock.....also make sure that RAM is installed properly.....also turn on legacy support for OS.

Extreme memory profile is setting in BIOS (you ram do support them) ....but I would suggest to turn it off (safe default settings in BIOS will turn it off I GUESS ....for enhanced RAM performance ...you can turn it on later once your are sure that GPU is working properly).

All of your parts are good brands .......except GPU (may be I am wrong ....but personally i don't like sapphire brand (I have good experience with Gigabyte, Evga and MSI GPUs....in order of preference).
Updated Bios , Still no Display....

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Updated Bios , Still no Display....
Have you executed all the steps?

Disabled the extreme memory profile?

This one is silly ....changed your display to external card in BIOS?You may be using mobo's vga in BIOS?

Interface pins on the card are clean?? 6+2 power supply to the card is intact??Also check power pins on the card are intact?

Are you sure about your cable from GPU -> Monitor?I mean is it working properly?

The following are last 2 steps before you send your CARD to Sapphire again (I have very low view about this company and it's RMA):

1) Remove everything from the board........USE blower to clean the dust (if any, specially on PCIe interface) and install all the cleaned components one by one ....make sure to clean each and every part.....like interfaces both on mobo, gpu. psu and on the cables etc.

2) Still not working?Clear the CMOS (by shorting 2 pins on motherboard.....without any presence of electrostatic charges on your body) and check again.

I can only deduce 3 things (IN ORDER OF CHANCES) from what you have stated earlier (because your system is working on low-end GPU....and partially successful in installing it on other pc):

1. It's your card not properly checked by Sapphire.
  2. In a hurry you are missing something silly in BIOS settings or not properly installing GPU or PSU supply (get help from a good system builder to eliminated these possibilities).
  3. Card's VGA or HDMI or DVI interface/cable is not properly cleaned or attached or working.

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018

This one is silly ....changed your display to external card in BIOS?You may be using mobo's vga in BIOS?

Interface pins on the card are clean?? 6+2 power supply to the card is intact??Also check power pins on the card are intact?

Are you sure about your cable from GPU -> Monitor?I mean is it working properly?

The following are last 2 steps before you send your CARD to Sapphire again (I have very low view about this company and it's RMA):

1) Remove everything from the board........USE blower to clean the dust (if any, specially on PCIe interface) and install all the cleaned components one by one ....make sure to clean each and every part.....like interfaces both on mobo, gpu. psu and on the cables etc.

2) Still not working?Clear the CMOS (by shorting 2 pins on motherboard.....without any presence of electrostatic charges on your body) and check again.

I can only deduce 3 things (IN ORDER OF CHANCES) from what you have stated earlier (because your system is working on low-end GPU....and partially successful in installing it on other pc):

2. In a hurry you are missing something silly in BIOS settings or not properly installing GPU or PSU supply (get help from a good system builder to eliminated these possibilities).
  3. Card's VGA or HDMI or DVI interface/cable is not properly cleaned or attached or working.
I've Done all the steps , Still no luck , I think I'll Get my PSU checked Now

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018

I got my pc checked through Registered pc repair shop and he told me the motherboard is at fault as well as ram , I can understand about Motherboard but I don't know what is wrong with ram , although my ram has lifetime warranty upto 10 yrs , I don't think anything is wrong with ram

He told me I need a new motherboard , the one I'm using is not repairable and even if they try , it won't be successful

Now I'm stuck as I wanted to upgrade to a new motherboard and processor next year and right now I can't do that , I wanted a ryzen 5 3500 , new 8gb DDR4 ram and a msi mobo with my rx580 , My GPU is fine , if I purchase a new mobo , is gonna cost me upto 5k rupees and My parents won't allow further upgrades . I was waiting for ryzen 5 5600 (non x version ) so there's a price drop and I can get it cheaper

I contacted gigabyte service center and ask if they could repair but they told if the mobo was out of warranty they can't do anything , not even repair even if I pay them . Now I'm seriously confused

One option is to sell my rx580 or the other is to keep finding a shop to repair my Motherboard , I don't think buying a new lga 1155 motherboard in 2020 is a good option so I don't think I'll buy a new mobo

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
I got my pc checked through Registered pc repair shop and he told me the motherboard is at fault as well as ram , I can understand about Motherboard but I don't know what is wrong with ram , although my ram has lifetime warranty upto 10 yrs , I don't think anything is wrong with ram

He told me I need a new motherboard , the one I'm using is not repairable and even if they try , it won't be successful

Now I'm stuck as I wanted to upgrade to a new motherboard and processor next year and right now I can't do that , I wanted a ryzen 5 3500 , new 8gb DDR4 ram and a msi mobo with my rx580 , My GPU is fine , if I purchase a new mobo , is gonna cost me upto 5k rupees and My parents won't allow further upgrades . I was waiting for ryzen 5 5600 (non x version ) so there's a price drop and I can get it cheaper

I contacted gigabyte service center and ask if they could repair but they told if the mobo was out of warranty they can't do anything , not even repair even if I pay them . Now I'm seriously confused

One option is to sell my rx580 or the other is to keep finding a shop to repair my Motherboard , I don't think buying a new lga 1155 motherboard in 2020 is a good option so I don't think I'll buy a new mobo

I don't understand : "If your motherboard is at fault ....then WHY a low end GPU is still working on it?" Can you guess and tell me why?

And what is at fault if there are no beep codes?

If RAM is at fault why isn't there a BEEP CODE by BIOS? Did you ask this to your so called "Registered pc repair shop" and they are registered by whom??

If you believe there is a fault in your PSU ....then there must be also be fault in the PSU ....where you unsuccessfully tried to install your GPU earlier?

You tried your GPU (at your friends system) .....if his PSU you think is ok ...to run his GPU and whole system?Then why your GPU is not running there?

What do you conclude? from above .....think?

diveshsehgal11

Reputable
Jun 15, 2018
I don't understand : "If your motherboard is at fault ....then WHY a low end GPU is still working on it?" Can you guess and tell me why?

And what is at fault if there are no beep codes?

If RAM is at fault why isn't there a BEEP CODE by BIOS? Did you ask this to your so called "Registered pc repair shop" and they are registered by whom??

If you believe there is a fault in your PSU ....then there must be also be fault in the PSU ....where you unsuccessfully tried to install your GPU earlier?

You tried your GPU (at your friends system) .....if his PSU you think is ok ...to run his GPU and whole system?Then why your GPU is not running there?

What do you conclude? from above .....think?
Well I'm Sure about PSU , He Switched To a Corsair 600w and There was still no display , Although I'm Not sure About Ram as I'm Currently Using the Same Ram And I Still get Display , No Faulty Ram Symptoms , I'll Try Installing the GPU in my friend's Pc again . He told me motherboard Is Not Supplying enough Power to the rx580 but Is supplying sufficient Power to the gt710

Honestly I'm confused now , I guess in 2-3 days I'll contact a better pc repair shop for the motherboard , now atleast I know it's the motherboard at fault not any other part

My GPU was running at friend's pc but getting pixelated or distorted display , I'll try installing the latest drivers now

I think he told me ram is also faulty coz he thinks it's DDR3 and DDR3 is kinda old now , in using a i5-3470 , a 2012 model with 2017 GPU , maybe coz of that . I'm sure af that ram is alright , now the issue lies with motherboard

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
I think he told me ram is also faulty coz he thinks it's DDR3 and DDR3 is kinda old now , in using a i5-3470 , a 2012 model with 2017 GPU , maybe coz of that . I'm sure af that ram is alright , now the issue lies with motherboard

Old RAM is not faulty ....i have a side PC (for mining ....10x7) assembled in 2014 using 1600 DDR3 Corsair ....almost the same Gigabyte H81M-S1 mobo working fine ....why did you not check RAM @ friend's PC.

I got good PC life because I change my branded PSU (CORSAIR OR GIGABYTE) as soon as it gets out of warranty (3 years) ....and always opt 150 more watts for efficient (less electricity bills) and noiseless operation plus I am using APC back UPS (there is electric problems in our area).

Perform stress test like memtest86 to eliminate RAM buy installing it on your and then on friend's PC.
May be RAM will pass test on your friend's PC and not on your PC .....this can also help you to conclude that your RAM is ok and there is some fault with your MOBO.