[SOLVED] No display after fresh install

antony.king55

Reputable
Mar 25, 2018
Hi,

I recently upgraded mother board and processor, everything went fine but I hadn't done a fresh install which was obviously causing issue with internet stability. I did a fresh install today and decided I should go the UEFI route rather than sticking with legacy mode. Reformatted all my drives to GPT all went ok win 10 started fine. Then I went to my bios settings to change from CSM to UEFI but ever since I changed those setting I cant get any display. Ive tried clearing CMOS but that didn't work and no idea what else to do. It wont boot from win 10 flash drive and shows no display for win 10 or bios.
Fans all turn on, light on motherboard comes on, gpu and cpu fans spin, keyboard and mouse lights turn on but no display signal.

System:
MSI B550-pro
AMD 5600x
Noctua fan
Zotac GTX 1070
G.skill 3200 ram 2 x 8b
EVGA 650w PSU
M.2 sabrent 1gb
Crucial mx250 250gb

EDIT: tried unplugging gpu and using motherboard DP port but still no signal :(

Last edited:
Solution
Right I think Ive solved it so just gonna post my mistakes incase someone else has these issues (in hindsight this seem like stupid mistakes ;) )

1. doing the fresh install prior to switching into UEFI mode
  2. didn't clear CMOS properly (need to take the battery out for a while and use the jumper settings on the MB)
What you should do :
create you win 10 flash drive -> go to bios switch to UEFI -> boot the USB drive -> clean and format drive to gpt in win 10 installer

Commands for drive formating:
  1. From inside Windows Setup, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt window.
  2. Type diskpart and enter.
3..Type list disk .(look for your disk number, check the size of the disk)
  1. Type select disk <disk...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi,

I recently upgraded mother board and processor, everything went fine but I hadn't done a fresh install which was obviously causing issue with internet stability. I did a fresh install today and decided I should go the UEFI route rather than sticking with legacy mode. Reformatted all my drives to GPT all went ok win 10 started fine. Then I went to my bios settings to change from CSM to UEFI but ever since I changed those setting I cant get any display. Ive tried clearing CMOS but that didn't work and no idea what else to do. It wont boot from win 10 flash drive and shows no display for win 10 or bios.
Fans all turn on, light on motherboard comes on, gpu and cpu fans spin, keyboard and mouse lights turn on but no display signal.

System:
MSI B550-pro
AMD 5600x
Noctua fan
Zotac GTX 1070
G.skill 3200 ram 2 x 8b
EVGA 650w PSU
M.2 sabrent 1gb
Crucial mx250 250gb

EDIT: tried unplugging gpu and using motherboard DP port but still no signal :(
You have no built in graphics so you must use a card.
Disconnect all drives and see if you can boot into BIOS.

Reactions: antony.king55

antony.king55

Reputable
Mar 25, 2018
Yeah the seller ships them with the updated bios.

Little update turns out I hadn't cleared the CMOS properly. Ive done that now loaded default values, put my bootable win 10 drive in. But now I'm just stuck on the "PRO SERIES" label/screen

I can get into bios now (thankfully!!), but cant seem to boot past it. Do I just give up with the UEFI setting and go back to CSM?

Last edited:

antony.king55

Reputable
Mar 25, 2018
It should have latest already, asked scan to do it for me as I hate doing BIOS updates killed my last motherboard by trying lol

At the very least I know the did the bios for the 5600X chip as Ive already had the system up and running

Im going for another fresh install and if this doesn't work giving up with UEFI, faster boot times doesn't seem worth this much hassle lol

antony.king55

Reputable
Mar 25, 2018
Right I think Ive solved it so just gonna post my mistakes incase someone else has these issues (in hindsight this seem like stupid mistakes ;) )

1. doing the fresh install prior to switching into UEFI mode
  2. didn't clear CMOS properly (need to take the battery out for a while and use the jumper settings on the MB)
What you should do :
create you win 10 flash drive -> go to bios switch to UEFI -> boot the USB drive -> clean and format drive to gpt in win 10 installer

Commands for drive formating:
  1. From inside Windows Setup, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt window.
  2. Type diskpart and enter.
3..Type list disk .(look for your disk number, check the size of the disk)
  1. Type select disk <disk number>. example: select disk0 (select the disk you want to format)
  2. Type clean.
  3. Type convert gpt.
  4. Close the command prompt window.
  5. Continue the Windows Setup installation.

And the moment of panic is over haha, thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated!

Solution