No display after initial boot (No BIOS display)

Ive just put together my new system:

Elitegroup 755-A2 MB
Ge force 5500 fx 256MB Video card
Western digital 250GB HD

unfortunately after the initial boot I see nothing on the screen. I
have tried 128 and 64 MB video cards, a different monitor, and of
course unplug and replug. The ATX12v is IN so I know its not that.

However I have notice that the board did not come with onboard video,
SO...

1. Is it that the board cannot produce the graphics needed to display
the BIOS without first having installed the drivers?
2. If it is this how do I install the drivers without seeing what Im
doing?
3. Could I possibly hook the hard drive up to a seperate computer and
load the drivers and OS that way and then reinstall and reboot?

I have no idea what is preventing the motherboard from displaying the
initial BIOS setup, any ideas???

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Elitegroup-display-initial-boot-BIOS-display-ftopict61309.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=309414

"Rob-alicious" wrote:
> Ive just put together my new system:
>
> Elitegroup 755-A2 MB
> Ge force 5500 fx 256MB Video card
> Western digital 250GB HD
>
> unfortunately after the initial boot I see nothing on the
> screen. I have tried 128 and 64 MB video cards, a different
> monitor, and of course unplug and replug. The ATX12v is IN so
> I know its not that.
>
> However I have notice that the board did not come with
> onboard video, SO...
>
> 1. Is it that the board cannot produce the graphics needed to
> display the BIOS without first having installed the drivers?
> 2. If it is this how do I install the drivers without seeing
> what Im doing?
> 3. Could I possibly hook the hard drive up to a seperate
> computer and load the drivers and OS that way and then
> reinstall and reboot?
>
> I have no idea what is preventing the motherboard from
> displaying the initial BIOS setup, any ideas???

what psu do you have? you should have at least 12v/18amps to run the
64bit board. try disconnecting the hard drive, rom drive, case fans
and try posting . use just the vid card, 1 stick of ram and the cpu
heatsink and fan. i assume your fans are running when you try to boot.

ud

"uddarts" wrote:
> what psu do you have? you should have at least 12v/18amps to
> run the 64bit board. try disconnecting the hard drive, rom
> drive, case fans and try posting . use just the vid card, 1
> stick of ram and the cpu heatsink and fan. i assume your fans
> are running when you try to boot.
>

> ud

the power supply is a Chiefmax 450w 115 Volt 10 Amp.

I tried using just the vid card, but still havent gotten anything.
All fans (CPU, vid card, HD, and case) operate without problem when
connected.

Another source suggested trying the card in another computer but I
have tried other vid cards that I know for a fact work.

Im fast running out of ideas, Im sure I can get this thing to work if
I could just get a display.

"Rob-alicious" wrote:
> the power supply is a Chiefmax 450w 115 Volt 10 Amp.
>
> I tried using just the vid card, but still havent gotten
> anything. All fans (CPU, vid card, HD, and case) operate
> without problem when connected.
>
> Another source suggested trying the card in another computer
> but I have tried other vid cards that I know for a fact work.
>
> Im fast running out of ideas, Im sure I can get this thing to
> work if I could just get a display.

i found a link for the psu. unless they’re real big liars, it should
be fine.

try reseating the cpu. be very careful removing the heatsink if you
used the stock thermal pad. you might want to get some good thermal
grease to use from then on. when reseating, use firm pressure on the
cpu when flipping the the lock down lever. also check the pins to make
sure they are all straight.

ud

"uddarts" wrote:
> i found a link for the psu. unless they're real big liars, it
> should be fine.
>
> try reseating the cpu. be very careful removing the heatsink
> if you used the stock thermal pad. you might want to get some
> good thermal grease to use from then on. when reseating, use
> firm pressure on the cpu when flipping the the lock down
> lever. also check the pins to make sure they are all straight.
>
> ud

Ive now completely disassembled the system. Cpu looks OK, no damage
to the pins... now that Ive taken it apart it just made me more sure
that I had done it right the first time. Ive tested the graphics card
in another machine with no problem, it got itself going without
installing new drivers. So I am now confident that the Video card is
not the problem either...

So... That leaves me to believe that the motherboard is the problem.
The thing of it is that it came right out of the box and into the
machine within 10 minutes and when all the drives are hooked up they
all appear the be functioning normally (i.e fans work,LEDs work,
drives are active).

Therefore I can only guess that Im dealing with a compatability issue
or a faulty AGP 8x slot. Does this sound right? Or is there something
I havent thought of?

Regretably, I cant test the MB or CPU in the other machine... CPU was
out of box too and I dont think Id be getting the activity I am if the
motherboard or CPU were COMPLEATLY faulty...

If anyone has ever experienced something similar please help.

"Rob-alicious" wrote:
> Ive now completely disassembled the system. Cpu looks OK, no
> damage to the pins... now that Ive taken it apart it just made
> me more sure that I had done it right the first time. Ive
> tested the graphics card in another machine with no problem,
> it got itself going without installing new drivers. So I am
> now confident that the Video card is not the problem either...
>
> So... That leaves me to believe that the motherboard is the
> problem. The thing of it is that it came right out of the box
> and into the machine within 10 minutes and when all the drives
> are hooked up they all appear the be functioning normally (i.e
> fans work,LEDs work, drives are active).
>
> Therefore I can only guess that Im dealing with a
> compatability issue or a faulty AGP 8x slot. Does this sound
> right? Or is there something I havent thought of?
>
> Regretably, I cant test the MB or CPU in the other machine...
> CPU was out of box too and I dont think Id be getting the
> activity I am if the motherboard or CPU were COMPLEATLY
> faulty...
>
> If anyone has ever experienced something similar please help.

just to cover the bases. you do have the p4 psu connector plugged in?
one last thought, do you have a digital multimeter or can you borrow,
beg or buy($15) one? check the 12v line, the yellow wire on a four
wire molex plug connector.

otherwise it’s rma time. you’ve done your best.

ud

I'm no expert but could there be a 'clear CMOS' thingy that's shorted?

Or if you are a DIY system builder do you still have an old PCI graphics
card knocking about, sometimes AGP needs to be enabled in BIOS first.

BP

"Rob-alicious" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message >
> Ive now completely disassembled the system. Cpu looks OK, no damage
> to the pins... now that Ive taken it apart it just made me more sure
> that I had done it right the first time. Ive tested the graphics card
> in another machine with no problem, it got itself going without
> installing new drivers. So I am now confident that the Video card is
> not the problem either...
>
> So... That leaves me to believe that the motherboard is the problem.
> The thing of it is that it came right out of the box and into the
> machine within 10 minutes and when all the drives are hooked up they
> all appear the be functioning normally (i.e fans work,LEDs work,
> drives are active).
>
> Therefore I can only guess that Im dealing with a compatability issue
> or a faulty AGP 8x slot. Does this sound right? Or is there something
> I havent thought of?
>
> Regretably, I cant test the MB or CPU in the other machine... CPU was
> out of box too and I dont think Id be getting the activity I am if the
> motherboard or CPU were COMPLEATLY faulty...
>
> If anyone has ever experienced something similar please help.

One thing to check is the Power Supply Unit. There is a switch on the back to
select the voltage. Make sure it is all the way in the correct position. ie:
115v-230v
Another is to clear your BIOS with the jumpers. Make sure you follow those
directions and put the jumper on the right pins.
One more: if possible, try a different PSU.

"Rob-alicious" <> Finally success. The system is now up and running the only
thing that
> I have left to setup is the NIC it came onboard with the motherboard
> but after install ing the drivers and setting up through the "add new
> hardware" All I get is a message that tells me that the hardware has
> been installed but wont work due to a Code 10. It wolnt elaborate any
> further. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling but have gotten no
> where so far any ideas?

Make sure that LAN is enabled in the BIOS.
Perhaps check to see if there are updated drivers for the LAN.
What did you finally do to get your pc working?

"Rob-alicious" <>
> Finally success. The system is now up and running the only thing that
> I have left to setup is the NIC it came onboard with the motherboard
> but after install ing the drivers and setting up through the "add new
> hardware" All I get is a message that tells me that the hardware has
> been installed but wont work due to a Code 10. It wolnt elaborate any
> further. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling but have gotten no
> where so far any ideas?

I believe a code ten means that the mb doesn't have the resources to initialize
the device.
Usually a driver problem.
Make sure you turn off any and all antivirus programs while you install drivers.
Look in Device Manager and see how it is listed under Network Adapters.
Try to update it there using Properties.
Does it show a conflict?
Is the card listed more than once?
Boot into SafeMode and see what is listed there.
If it is listed more than once, delete all the instances of the LAN and reboot
again,
Again, what did you do to get your PC running?

i built a computer with one of these and it turned out to be a bad
motherboard out of the box, take it back and make them swap it, if you bitch
hard enough they will even throw in a free stick of memory.
> "uddarts" wrote:
> > i found a link for the psu. unless they're real big liars, it
> > should be fine.
> >
> > try reseating the cpu. be very careful removing the heatsink
> > if you used the stock thermal pad. you might want to get some
> > good thermal grease to use from then on. when reseating, use
> > firm pressure on the cpu when flipping the the lock down
> > lever. also check the pins to make sure they are all straight.
> >
> > ud
>
> Ive now completely disassembled the system. Cpu looks OK, no damage
> to the pins... now that Ive taken it apart it just made me more sure
> that I had done it right the first time. Ive tested the graphics card
> in another machine with no problem, it got itself going without
> installing new drivers. So I am now confident that the Video card is
> not the problem either...
>
> So... That leaves me to believe that the motherboard is the problem.
> The thing of it is that it came right out of the box and into the
> machine within 10 minutes and when all the drives are hooked up they
> all appear the be functioning normally (i.e fans work,LEDs work,
> drives are active).
>
> Therefore I can only guess that Im dealing with a compatability issue
> or a faulty AGP 8x slot. Does this sound right? Or is there something
> I havent thought of?
>
> Regretably, I cant test the MB or CPU in the other machine... CPU was
> out of box too and I dont think Id be getting the activity I am if the
> motherboard or CPU were COMPLEATLY faulty...
>
> If anyone has ever experienced something similar please help.

coolhandskywalker

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
i should have read your mail first before i purchased the MB. i got same problem as you did. how did you fix your problem? from reading the messages, i did not get how you've fixed it. i 'm ready to return everything back to FRY's where i bought it

Uluru

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
i should have read your mail first before i purchased the MB. i got same problem as you did. how did you fix your problem? from reading the messages, i did not get how you've fixed it. i 'm ready to return everything back to FRY's where i bought it

I have the same problem with a P4M800-M7 motherboard, except that one has on-board video. I also would like to know how you fixe the issue. I cannot get video, all I can hear is that the system is cycling, trying to boot, but gets nowhere.
Please share your wisdom how you got this blasted thing to work... :evil:

coolhandskywalker

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I finally got it to work after a couple of trips back to the store i bought it from. They checked the PS to find out that it was somehow set to 230V even it was marked as 120V. go figure! and then the bios and cmos jumpers were marked and set reversed as the instruction manual. To compound the matter worse, CD settings (master/slave relationship) had to be correct. just watch those setting and it should work fine if MB and P/S
GC are fine.

JDoobs

I bought an ECS mobo and had no POST or anything as well. Not a damn thing. I sent it in to them, they sent me a new one. It had the same issue.... I plan on replacing it with a different company.

Ridetheworld

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Hey

i know this thread is old but i have the same problem.
The computer boots up, fans all run but i get no display or any activity from keyboard and mouse(lights coming on).
While on i can eject the cd-rom drive and it seems operational.
I am beginningto believe it is my CPU but not sure if there's a way to test this.

Any help would be appreciated :)

|Computer Specs|

P4P800 Asus Motherboard
Radeon 9600 Pro GC
DDR400 256x2 Memory
2.6Ghz Intel Processor

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Basically it's a process of elimination. First try booting up with only the MB, CPU, graphics card, 1 hdd and 1 stick of ram. If nothing then try another graphics card. If that doesn't work then try running memtest86. If that doesn't work then it's your CPU or MB.

If you can get your hands on a different same socket cpu try it. If that doesn't work then it's your MB.

Jwred151

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I have tried everything youve posted, then i went out and replaced the mobo and cpu, still no progress. then i tried 4 different video cards. then i bought a 530w psu. i tried many parts on a different mobo as well and they worked. I also tried different versions of ram like pc2400, pc2667, etc. And still not one thing pops on the screen when i boot.

Here are my specs:
mobo: Nvidia nf6100-430 socet am2 64 bit dual core
cpu: socket am2 5600 athlon 64 brisbane 2.9 ghz 2x512kb l2 cache
ram: patroit viper series pc2 -8500v 1066mhz 4gb 2x2gb kit
video: geforce 9600gt amp edition 512mbddr3, 725 mhz core, 2000mhz memory clock
psu: 550 watt thermaltake black widow

Please help!! :cry: