Question No display after installing ram

May 23, 2019
Hi, I recently got an acer e5-576 laptop, and decided to install more ram. I am inexperienced with computers and wasn't aware of various compatibility issues new ram may have.

My laptop comes with 6gb of memory (one 4gb and one 2gb stick). I bought two 8gb sticks that I wanted to put in, but after removing the original memory, putting in one of the 8gb sticks, and trying to boot up, my laptop no longer works.

When I boot up now, the fan whirs for a couple seconds, and the power light comes on, but the display stays completely blank. There are no beeps though, and the whole computer stays completely cold.

I have put back the original sticks, and tried all possible permutations and combinations of the memory sticks I have, but the result is always exactly the same.

I've tried doing a "power reset," ie remove battery for some time, hold down power button for a minute, then reinstall battery and try to boot up, but nothing changes.

The other solution I've found online is to reset the bios by removing the cmos battery or changing the clrct thing's position. My laptop has neither a cmos battery or the clcrt, apparently some cheaper laptops use the main battery as the cmos battery. So presumably I've already reset the bios every time I've removed the main battery.

I wondered if there was anything else I could try before taking it into the shop for a potentially expensive analysis. Thank you!

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I tried looking for service manual to see whats where and detailed specifications but couldn't find anything except user manual which is useless.

Crucial believes 2x 8GB ddr3L 1.35v should be compatible, is this is your laptop?

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-e5-576-392h

Only thing i can imagine it being is sodimm memory might be regular ddr3? Laptop requires ddr3L and could be why laptop is preventing operation to avoid damage.

May 23, 2019
Yes that's my laptop, and the exact memory I purchased! (and it is ddr3L, I checked). It's not even working with the original memory sticks now though.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I couldn't find videos for your laptop exactly so no good there trying to show where cmos battery is. Every computer has one to keep bios data live instead of relying on the main battery because if that goes or removed bios passwords would too easily be reset and Acer wont let that happen so there should be a cmos battery somewhere that would probably require to remove the whole underside to get to. They would also not make it 'overly difficult' to get to either because cmos batteries do run out eventually albeit long time, but still would require access.

Came across this though however from Acer, hope it's generalised across their whole laptop range.

Acer Internal Battery Reset
  1. Unplug AC power adapter.
  2. Locate the battery reset pinhole on the bottom of the computer.
  3. Insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole. Hold the reset button for 4 seconds.
  4. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power.
  5. Connect the AC adapter and power on the system.

Have you tried these steps (Hoping there's a pinhole, there should be?) rather than only the power button?

May 23, 2019
Ok, tried the pinhole, no luck unfortunately. By the way I was able to find the cmos battery on an older laptop I had laying around but not the acer. If I could attach a picture inside the acer for you I would.

Whatever the issue is, it's quite strange, so I may just wait and take it to the shop.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I believe you, if you can't see the cmos battery i don't think i will. If it is there, it's in a good hiding spot.

You've checked ram is seated properly? Ram should feel like it's clicked in and able to lower the ram flat.

When you put the old ram back did you start from the lowest dimm if you tried with just one stick? That's if the memory is stacked incase you were trying to use the upper dimm slot that the laptop may not boot properly unless the first dimm is populated.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Also with the old ram because they're odd size they would have been installed for flex mode where half of the larger ram is in dual channel and rest in single. They would have been in specific slots. Have you tried switching them around if couldn't remember how they were placed?