No display after installing VTX Radeon HD7850

Owlz

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hi There. I recently purchased this card, it is the VTX X-Treme edition. As far as I can tell it is fitted correctly, with the 6 pin power cable connected. I haven't been able to get any output when using my monitor and have also tested with tv on hdmi. Tried both pci-e3 slots, the pci2 is unaccesable as the cards to wide. I have tried a CMOS reset, removing old drivers and installing latest ones.

I was cautious to try the bios update on my mother board as VGA fix wasnt in the update list. I have an MSI-77A-G45 mobo on bios ver 2.50, 8gb ddr 3 ram @ 1800 mhz and i5 processor. I can't find detailed specs for my psu online but it's 500w. Jeantech JN120F-500AP.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Owlz

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I have been into bios and had a look about. New to the bios so don't know my way round, is some fancy gui one, but didn't see anything like that. When I was in there I just disabled PCI-e3 as I read on a forum that some people were having issues with this. I think that's on an old bios ver because in one of the older bios updates than mine there is a PCI-e fix.

It seems to disable my onboard graphics anyway, when I boot with new card installed the integrated output doesn't work either.

Owlz

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Thought should add, is a stock overclocked card. Did say min PSU 500w on the website when I bought it and I tried the PSU calculator on amd's site with my hardware and it said min 500w too. But I have been thinking it's the PSU, it's the weakest link in the chain.

rene13cross

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
If you are able, try to use the graphics card in another PC with a good PSU (any good quality 500W PSU should be more than enough) and see if it works so you can rule out either the graphics card or your own system.

Owlz

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

No other pc. Got another mobo with processor I could try but that's a mission.

rene13cross

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Unless you've exhausted all other avenues, that might be the way you'll have to go.

Unfortunately these sort of problems are impossible to solve sometimes over the internet, most of the time, the best bet is to try to rule out different components.

Owlz

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks for your help, I got a case and psu today and was going to try setting up another pc to test, but in the mean time VTX emailed me back. Rolled back my bios to version 2.4 as they recommended, apparently they are working on a new bios with MSI because there is compatibility issues with bios versions 2.5 +

Anyway working like a charm now so solved, happy days :)