Question No display after new case

Mathius

Honorable
Dec 4, 2015
Gpu: 3080
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
Ram: Theadrippers

Transplanted old guts with new gpu into new rgb case.
As soon as I try and press the backside case lid on, I receive no input from DP.

gpu still has power. I tested psu and it’s fine, receiving the required power. Computer posts fine. As soon as a cable is touched ever so lightly trying to install the back side case cover, screen goes black and no display input.

I shake the cables around and eventually after enough starts the screen comes back and everything is fine. Then I move the case, or try and out the cover on and boom, no input.

My feeling is motherboard (8 years old) is finally going bad. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 362816

Sounds like you have a grounding issue somewhere. I would remove the motherboard and make sure no metal is touching on the back of it other then the standoffs.

Reactions: Mathius

Mathius

Honorable
Dec 4, 2015
Sounds like you have a grounding issue somewhere. I would remove the motherboard and make sure no metal is touching on the back of it other then the standoffs.
So sorry for the late reply, SO I rebuilt the whole thing, and used the brass standoff's from the old case just in case that was the issue. I put it all together and it worked! I brought it upstairs, powered it on and No Display! I power cycled it a few times, and was finally able to get it turn on and it was working fine for about a week of normal use.
Last night, my buddies wanted to play Fortnight and middle of the first round it shows up again - NO Display. I turned it off, turned it back on and FINALLY got a set of 5 beeps.
Display came back, waited, got back into a game and half way through.. same thing No display, so I reset the computer and received 5 beeps again.

FYI when I first was diagnosing the issue, I test the PSU cables and was receiving the required voltage to each pin. And the PSU is relatively new, replaced it about 8 months ago, at the first onset of these issues.

So, since I received 5 beeps, I am assuming it's the CPU or motherboard?

Mathius

Honorable
Dec 4, 2015
Soooo I put my 3080 in my daughters case and it worked fine. The only thing I hadn’t replaced was the psu so that makes sense. I go pullout the psu and looking at it I realize the pci-e cable is plugged into the CPU 8 pin. Not sure why I did that, but anyway. I moved it into the PCI 8 pin and everything is fine!
It’s just so weird that my symptom was movement.

so problems all solved and I upgraded my entire computer in the meantime.