No display after new video card driver [geforce 8600 gt]

mynameismolotov

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hey all,
first of all just wanted to thanks to everyone here, I've had tons of questions answered by people here even though I've never posted, just from reading other threads, seems like a good community to join.
Anyway, I just upgraded the video card on my Dell Inspiron 530s, from the previous on board card to a PNY Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT. After installing it (which also made me have to upgrade the power supply), the first run the resolution was the typical new card with no drivers, 800*600 or whatever, and Windows popped up a notice about detecting new drivers, so I installed them and restarted, and there was no display, just a black screen, but it made all the usual beeps. So I switched back to onboard, uninstalled the driver, restarted back with the new card/default driver. This time I downloaded the driver from Nvidia's website, and the same thing happened. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit. Thanks for any help, let me know if I need to give more info.

Solution
check the PCIe plug, the power connector, ect.
Do a driver sweep (clean out all remnants of old drivers), these instructions can be googled. Install newest drivers.
If this doesn't work... then you may need to RMA your card and send it back for a new one.

arges86

Distinguished
check the PCIe plug, the power connector, ect.
Do a driver sweep (clean out all remnants of old drivers), these instructions can be googled. Install newest drivers.
If this doesn't work... then you may need to RMA your card and send it back for a new one.

Solution

mynameismolotov

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You said check the power connector, could it not having enough power be the issue? I didn't see when I got the card it was rated for 300W PSU and mine was only 250W. I tried it anyway and the computer wouldn't start, it would fire up try for a couple seconds but would then just die. The only PSU I could find to fit the slim case without being out of budget was a 300W In-Win IW-IP which I have installed now. Whenever I turn on the computer now it does what it did with the smaller PSU but after it turns off it turns back on again and then either starts or tries once more. Is that bad other than the delay in the computer starting; could that mean its on the brink of over heating? Also could that be related to the blank display? But it could display with only the basic driver installed. I'll try your suggestions arges when I get home, and thanks for the reply.

arges86

Distinguished
the PSU could deff. be an issue
I usually like to stick w/ a minimum of a 500 watt power supply.
When they say its rated @ 300W that usually means that its the lowest wattage that will run it. So for future proofing, or if u have an intensive CPU I always recomend 200W above their recommendation.

You issue w/ it turning off and back on seems like it could be a short somewhere. Its impossible to know w/o looking at it with more detail.
I hope for your sake, its a software issue.
Your last resort can be to RMA the card and hope.

mynameismolotov

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Sorry for the delay, been busy with the holidays and all. But just wanted to say it ended up being a rather dumb problem, the card simply wasn't plugged in all the way. Kinda weird that it worked with the basic drivers but not when updated, but that's all it was. So if anyone finds this thread via a search, definitely make sure your card is plugged in all the way.