[SOLVED] No display after RAM upgrade

Aug 31, 2020
Hello, hope everyone is well! I have gone through the forums and internet but found no solution to my problem below.

I have recently upgraded the ram for a pc I have built. For reference my old setup had 8gb ddr4 at 2400mhz. As the years have gone on 8gb is no longer sufficient and so I bought 2×8gb ram at 2666mhz.

However once I installed the ram I now get an issue where the ez debug lights flash red between the Dram and CPU light and I have no display. However, all fans run and there is power to the graphics card, processor, usb ports etc.

I have tried resetting the CMOS and resetting the BIOS. For reference my old ram still works and I have used that to go into the BIOS to reset and also tried manually updating the ram clock speed and voltage in there.

I have also done compatibility tests on many maunfacturers websites as well as trying two differenct types of 2×8gb ram sticks. I know that all of my ram slots work too and I have also tried putting 1 stick in at a time.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to resolve this issue as so far it looks like my motherboard which can hold up to 64gb is only taking 8gb. The main stats of my pc are below:

Processor: i5-6600k
Motherboard: MSI Z170A- G43 Plus
Old ram : Corsair Vengeance 2×4gb at 2400mhz
New ram tried: 2×8gb Hyper x 2666mhz and;
2×8gb Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz
HDD: standard 1TB

Reactions: Jean Cuillerier
Solution
Hello unfortunately I don't have another PC to test this RAM on. However, I have tried 2 separate batches of RAM as follows:

Kingston HyperX Fury model no. HX426C16FB3K2
Crucial Ballistix model no. BL2K8G24C16U4B

I don't believe it is on the QVL list for my motherboard as I think it was released before the RAM. However, on the Crucial website I ran a compatibility checker with my motherboard and the model no. BL2K8G24C16U4B appeared on that list.

My BIOS version is: 3.00
Concerning the HyperX fury model a virtually identical model is on the list (HX426C16FB2K2).
Your Bios version is in fact the initial Bios release. There have been 13 updates since then with several specifically improving memory compatibility problem...
Hello, hope everyone is well! I have gone through the forums and internet but found no solution to my problem below.

I have recently upgraded the ram for a pc I have built. For reference my old setup had 8gb ddr4 at 2400mhz. As the years have gone on 8gb is no longer sufficient and so I bought 2×8gb ram at 2666mhz.

However once I installed the ram I now get an issue where the ez debug lights flash red between the Dram and CPU light and I have no display. However, all fans run and there is power to the graphics card, processor, usb ports etc.

I have tried resetting the CMOS and resetting the BIOS. For reference my old ram still works and I have used that to go into the BIOS to reset and also tried manually updating the ram clock speed and voltage in there.

I have also done compatibility tests on many maunfacturers websites as well as trying two differenct types of 2×8gb ram sticks. I know that all of my ram slots work too and I have also tried putting 1 stick in at a time.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to resolve this issue as so far it looks like my motherboard which can hold up to 64gb is only taking 8gb. The main stats of my pc are below:

Processor: i5-6600k
Motherboard: MSI Z170A- G43 Plus
Old ram : Corsair Vengeance 2×4gb at 2400mhz
New ram tried: 2×8gb Hyper x 2666mhz and;
2×8gb Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz
HDD: standard 1TB
How and when did you perform the clear CMOS ?
I suggest to proceed as following:
  1. Power off the computer and unplug the power cord
  2. take out the RAM stick (I guess that you have now the old single RAM stick in place)
  3. Take out the small battery from your motherboard
  4. wait 4 - 5 minutes
  5. put your new RAM in slots 2 and 4 (as by you manual on page 27)
  6. try to boot
  7. If this fail try with only one new RAM stick in slot 2

Aug 31, 2020
How and when did you perform the clear CMOS ?
I suggest to proceed as following:
  1. Power off the computer and unplug the power cord
  2. take out the RAM stick (I guess that you have now the old single RAM stick in place)
  3. Take out the small battery from your motherboard
  4. wait 4 - 5 minutes
  5. put your new RAM in slots 2 and 4 (as by you manual on page 27)
  6. try to boot
  7. If this fail try with only one new RAM stick in slot 2
Hello, thanks for your reply.

I previously reset CMOS yesterday by shorting the JBAT1 2 pin on my motherboard. I tried your above steps by removing RAM and removing CMOS battery. After 5 minutes I then reinserted the battery and the 2 sticks of ram in slots 2 and 4. Still didn't work. I then removed the RAM from slot 4 and still has no luck.

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I previously reset CMOS yesterday by shorting the JBAT1 2 pin on my motherboard. I tried your above steps by removing RAM and removing CMOS battery. After 5 minutes I then reinserted the battery and the 2 sticks of ram in slots 2 and 4. Still didn't work. I then removed the RAM from slot 4 and still has no luck.
Do you have another computer where you could test the new RAM ?
What is the exact reference of this RAM ? Is it on the QVL for your motherboard ?
What is your Bios version ?

Aug 31, 2020
Do you have another computer where you could test the new RAM ?
What is the exact reference of this RAM ? Is it on the QVL for your motherboard ?
What is your Bios version ?
Hello unfortunately I don't have another PC to test this RAM on. However, I have tried 2 separate batches of RAM as follows:

I don't believe it is on the QVL list for my motherboard as I think it was released before the RAM. However, on the Crucial website I ran a compatibility checker with my motherboard and the model no. BL2K8G24C16U4B appeared on that list.

Concerning the HyperX fury model a virtually identical model is on the list (HX426C16FB2K2).
Your Bios version is in fact the initial Bios release. There have been 13 updates since then with several specifically improving memory compatibility problem.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-G43-PLUS
At this point I would suggest to update your Bios, using M-Flash as per your manual page 39.

Solution
Your Bios version is in fact the initial Bios release. There have been 13 updates since then with several specifically improving memory compatibility problem.
At this point I would suggest to update your Bios, using M-Flash as per your manual page 39.

This. Initial BIOS release does not have all the memory compatibility.

Reactions: blackout1148
Aug 31, 2020
Wow, thanks a lot man, this worked!

I spent a good part of the day taking out the motherboard and other components trying to check if I bedded the RAM properly, searching Youtube videos etc. but the solution was as simple as this.

I did carry out the live updates in amongst all this but I never knew that the BIOS had a separate update!

Thanks again!

Wow, thanks a lot man, this worked!

I spent a good part of the day taking out the motherboard and other components trying to check if I bedded the RAM properly, searching Youtube videos etc. but the solution was as simple as this.

I did carry out the live updates in amongst all this but I never knew that the BIOS had a separate update!

Thanks again!
Fine.
Don't forget to click the Trophy Icon on the left side of the most helpful post

Latest posts