Question No display after replacing PSU

Jul 2, 2020
I just bought a new PSU (Corsair CX450) to replace my cheap off brand PSU, because I bought a new GPU (Gtx 1060).
After fitting in the new PSU, I double checked every PSU cable, the sata cable for the HDD, the 24 pin motherboard cable, the 4 pin CPU cable, and the 8 pin PCIE GPU cable.
On booting, the fans start up, I hear a single beep and then nothing shows up on the display. I tried booting up both on the Integrated Graphics and GPU, and the result is the same, no display.

I am a PC noob and it's very possible I'm missing something obvious. Pls help.

What motherboard do you have? I ask so I can look up the beep codes for it.

Anyway the only thing I would suggest is to make sure you have the cables fully inserted. Make sure you didn't somehow jam the CPU power cable into the GPU or vise versa. They are keyed differently so It should be possible but anything can happen.

A few other things to check would be that the RAM is full inserted and want knocked loose, that the CPU cooler fan cable is fully plugged into the CPU_FAN header (most PCs wont boot if the computer can't detect a fan) or that any of the case IO cables especially the power switch haven't been knocked loose.

Reactions: TheEvilOverlord
Jul 2, 2020
What motherboard do you have? I ask so I can look up the beep codes for it.

Anyway the only thing I would suggest is to make sure you have the cables fully inserted. Make sure you didn't somehow jam the CPU power cable into the GPU or vise versa. They are keyed differently so It should be possible but anything can happen.

A few other things to check would be that the RAM is full inserted and want knocked loose, that the CPU cooler fan cable is fully plugged into the CPU_FAN header (most PCs wont boot if the computer can't detect a fan) or that any of the case IO cables especially the power switch haven't been knocked loose.

My GPU and CPU cables are correctly inserted, I am sure because they are labelled also I know the 6+2 cable is always thr GPU cable. But i will re check the ram sticks.

My motherboard is Gigabyte H81M

My GPU and CPU cables are correctly inserted, I am sure because they are labelled also I know the 6+2 cable is always thr GPU cable. But i will re check the ram sticks.

My motherboard is Gigabyte H81M

Here are the beep codes from gigabyte

1short beep :System normal 2 short beep :CMOS Error 1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error 1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error 1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error 6 short beep:Keyboard error 7 short beep :CPU interruption error 8 short beep:Graphic card error 9 short beep :Memory error 10 short beep :CMOS error 11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

Reactions: TheEvilOverlord
Jul 2, 2020
Here are the beep codes from gigabyte

1short beep :System normal 2 short beep :CMOS Error 1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error 1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error 1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error 6 short beep:Keyboard error 7 short beep :CPU interruption error 8 short beep:Graphic card error 9 short beep :Memory error 10 short beep :CMOS error 11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction
Well I am getting 1 short beep, it's the normal beep that I always get when the PC boots up. Which leads me to think that the display cable may be bad, but it worked fine before I swapped the PSU, so I'm not sure why it would suddenly go bad when I changed my PSU...

Have someone that knows more about computers look it over, you could be missing something or dislodged something while installing the PSU. If it's modular make sure the cables are in the right slot at the PSU side.

If you fully remove the video card, do you still get no display? Does your CPU have an integrated video chip, not all do, and you did not list your full specs.

TRENDING THREADS