Question No display after stripping down laptop/ CMOS battery reset

Apr 19, 2021
Hi all,

I recently had to strip down my MSI gt62vr 6rd dominator pro laptop to replace the keyboard. I'm sure that I replaced everything as it was before (besides the wifi card) and I was careful to make sure that the ribbon cables were in place but I mistakenly pressed the clear cmos button when stripping it down and now my display doesn't work.
Although my display is dead, the fans spin up and the keyboard is illuminated. I've tried reseating everything but still can't progress past this.
Is this likely to be caused by the cmos battery or could I have damaged something when attempting to repair it? I damaged the wifi/ bluetooth card and need to replace it but that couldn't be the reason for the display issue, right?

Any troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021
This laptop:

https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-gf...VE5SzCh0acQlGEAQYASABEgK2XPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any laptop screen display at all during boot up?

Boot into Safe Mode perhaps?

Are you able to get a display via the laptop's external HDMI video port and another known working monitor?

This is the laptop: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT62VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro/Specification

I was just about to try using an external monitor but realised the battery and HDD lights are no longer working, I'll have to tear it down again and see what's happened there... but no, either time there's no display at all.

Apr 19, 2021
Do you or a friend have an external monitor you could plug in to test?
How did you damage the wifi/bluetooth card?

I posted about the external monitor in the thread above.
As for the wifi card, it's connected by those small circular connectors (not sure what they're called) and one of them got ripped off the pad when attempting to disconnect.

Ralston18

Titan
Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass to take close look at everything before tearing it all down again.

Could simply be some error of omission or commission.

Or you may indeed find some previously unnoticed damage and can then focus on that issue.

[Edit: overtaken by events. Did not see #5 in the meantime.]

Apr 19, 2021
Okay, update time and oh boy where to start...

I dismantled the laptop again and checked all of the ribbon cables and connections using a multimeter and found no issues. I reseated the ram and ensured the connections were secure. But ultimately I'm still experiencing the same issues.

So the current situation is that the laptop powers on when the power button is pressed, the fans speed up and the keyboard RGBs are illuminated. The top control panel which allows me to control fan speed and RGBs work but the MOBO LED indicators for the HDD, charger, wifi etc no longer illuminate and there is no activity at all on the display. Moreover, there is no detected input on an external display when connected to the laptop via HDMI.

I don't believe that this is an issue with the ribbon cables or the display itself which leads me to suspect that this fault is caused by something I have interacted with 1. the removal of the broken Killer 1435 wifi/bluetooth chip. 2. the accidental press of the CMOS battery reset button or 3. any other damage I potentially caused to the MOBO.

I was careful when doing the teardown and I don't think that I did anything to break the MOBO but I'm at a loss of where to go from here.
If anyone has any idea of what could be wrong I'm all ears.

Thanks again for your time everyone!

EDIT: I stated that the external display didn't didn't detect the HDMI input but actually it appears that it did detect something as the second HDMI input was highlighted as an active source though there was no visible display.

Last edited: