Question NO DISPLAY and BEEPS on New Build: Ryzen 7 5800X MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX 32GB RX580

Sep 12, 2021
New built, all parts are brand new except for the RAM & GPU (used, from my old rig)
MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX (new series, new arrival, fresh. prob only a week from the unloading docks).
Ryzen 7 5800X (Zen 3, 5000 series, new, boxed, sealed).
32GB (16GBx2) Micron DDR4 PC-2666 (still being used on old rig, will be replaced with PC-3600s or better soon, still looking)
Sapphire Pulse RX 580 OC (still being used on old rig, still had life in it, plus GPU prices and availability is pretty crazy now)
750W 80+ Gold Aerocool KCAS PLUS GOLD (two weeks old, first thing I bought to replace my old 475W PSU in preparation for the new parts)

New installation. Plugged everything, double checked everything.
Powering up gives no display,
the on-board LEDs (EZ Debug LED) lighted up on CPU (red LED) for several seconds,
followed by GPU (white LED) for several seconds,
then the green LED (no BOOT - cause I haven't plugged any storage media on it).

Then it gives 1 long beeps, followed by 2 short beeps (only beeps after reaching the last debug check: gives green LED light on BOOT status).

Tried reseating the CPU, RAM sticks (only 1, both, tried every slot with all combination),
reseated GPU, tried the 2nd PCIe x16 (PCIe x16_2), changed to another (my older, previously used) PSU,
every single attempt gives the same result. Every time. Red LEDs -> White LEDs -> Green LEDs -> 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps.

Looked it up here and reddit. Read about updating the BIOS.
Put everything back on my old rig, downloaded the updated BIOS, watched the video guide, lookup posts and guides on USB Flash BIOS on MSI boards,
puts the downloaded and extracted BIOS files on a usb stick, followed everything down to the letter (format said USB as FAT32, put extracted BIOS file and renamed it into MSI.ROM on root
(also had copies of it on original name in case I am able to pass POST and enter BIOS screen).

Unplugged everything on the new mobo, including the CPU according to the video guide and also from some older post here.
Plugged the USB to the FLASH USB socket, pressed and hold the FLASH BIOS button for 3 seconds, no response.
Tried different USB stick (6 of them, from very old 64MB to the 64GB that got included with the Mobo).
Not a single one worked as advertised or seen in the video guide or other posts. There's no red LED light glowing anywhere.
My PSU gives no sign of activity (no power on, though I know the +5VSB (standby) should still deliver power to the board, which I suspect is how MSI uses it to power the USB stick and Flashed the BIOS - IF it is working))
(I am familiar with USB power motherboards which can still deliver power even though the system is on full OFF state (Power OFF, not on standby or Suspend/Sleep),
my old Gigabyte mobo can charge my phone and my DualShock 4 controller even when the system is off (shutdown)).

Also tried clearing the BIOS (jumper short) multiple times, even unplugged the CMOS battery and leave the board for an hour (while I'm getting lunch).

None of it works.

Did I missed anything else or should I just RMA-ed the motherboard ?
I doubted it was the CPU, its boxed, brand new, and sealed. Plus checking for damaged/bent pins or anything yielded no such defects. It went into the socket smoothly. For the RAM and GPU, its certain that they were working properly (otherwise I won't be able to make this post from my old rig).

Thank you in advance for any info anyone could give me.
(also yes I've been a forum stalker for years, only today I make the account because this is the first time I had a problem that I stumped on and unable to resolve, thus the post).

Sep 12, 2021
try to extract the msi bios file and dont rename it msi.rom, just paste it on the root/first page of the flashdrive (dont put it on folder), and do bios flashback, and see if it worked.

Oh I did that already, I placed multiple (same) BIOS on the root folder, the one renamed as MSI.ROM and the original filename "E7D54AMS.A00" (from MSI website). Pressing (and holding) the Flash BIOS button on the backplate does nothing (3s, 10s, 30s). Even tried getting the PSU to ran first (thinking that maybe the +5VSB did not deliver power since its on off state - later tested with DMM, it sure does. DMM shows +5V on +5VSB). Also tested the power connectors, all normal (+12V, +5V, +3.3V, etc. Nothing shorted and the system's properly grounded)).

So do you get a signal on your monitor like a quick display of the word display port(if you are using display port on gpu) at all? Or does the monitor stay unchanged? It sounds like you may have a ram problem.

Nope, no display at all. Totally blank from the get go. EZ Debug LED also shows GPU fail/no detect (after CPU fail/no detect). Using HDMI to an LG 32" LCD TV. Tried HDMI 1, HDMI 2, even D-Sub (still have an old 19" viewsonic lcd monitors from the late 90s). None gives any display or even indication of a signal detection.

And the RAM is fine, I'm still using it (on this PC). Memtest/AIDA/OCCT gives no errors.

Oh I did that already, I placed multiple (same) BIOS on the root folder, the one renamed as MSI.ROM and the original filename "E7D54AMS.A00" (from MSI website). Pressing (and holding) the Flash BIOS button on the backplate does nothing (3s, 10s, 30s). Even tried getting the PSU to ran first (thinking that maybe the +5VSB did not deliver power since its on off state - later tested with DMM, it sure does. DMM shows +5V on +5VSB). Also tested the power connectors, all normal (+12V, +5V, +3.3V, etc. Nothing shorted and the system's properly grounded)).
is the motherboard only connected to nothing except the cpu power and atx power (24pin)?

Sep 12, 2021
is the motherboard only connected to nothing except the cpu power and atx power (24pin)?

Yes. As shown like the video guide from MSI here: MSI® HOW TO use Flash BIOS Button - YouTube

EDIT:
I just realized the MOBO they used did not have the CMOS battery installed. I'll give it a try by removing the battery and see if it works.
Update: As suspected, it didn't work.

EDIT 2:
Just received information from my local MSI dealer that you do not need to remove anything at all. It should work even on an already running system with every components already installed (but on older, different model boards since they claim they currently do not have ANY information about this particular board (read below)). Also you can do it like the usual 'regular BIOS update with a stick, but w/o the DOS prompt' here, which is actually a very great feature (yet somehow it doesn't work for me) :

View: https://youtu.be/HrRQ2Frk5tA?t=547

I'll give it a couple more try before retiring, the support guy said that if it still fails I should bring it to their service center downtown, I might've received a defective or a faulty motherboard. And since it is a newly released products, they currently do not have much info of it (their troubleshooting database for that particular model/type is still blank, I'm probably one of the first owners of this type of motherboard in this country... (bought it only a day or two after the release announcement). So the (local) support can't really help much beside "Yeah just bring it here if it still doesn't work."

Feels kinda sad 'cause not only this is not the mobo I wanted in the first place (I wanted the ASUS ROG STRIX X570 originally, but this board price and MSI doing their "MSI-Super-September Promo" (not only you get a hefty discount, but also big cashback and gifts) lured me from my original choice.
It is also to be my first Ryzen build (my last AMD after long line of sticking to team Red since the Am486 era is the Bulldozer FX-4100 series, though I've been an avid ATI boy, even until now) and didn't expect it to give me this much trouble... (I've been building PCs and Enterprise Servers for decades, this is the first time I am stumped and had to ask for help).

Thank you again for all the help, they're all highly appreciated!
I'll be closing this thread and just going to RMA it.

Last edited: