Question No display at all, not even bios. All parts are getting power.

SeanTee

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
4670k -- MSI Z87-G45 -- EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 SC -- G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2x4GB 1866MHz -- boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB -- EGA 600W Bronze psu

The issue:
After installing a new cooler, I booted my computer and got a message along the lines of "no boot drive detected. connect boot drive and restart". So, I took my GPU out to reach all my sata connectors behind it. Once everything was checked, I put the GPU back in - making sure it clicked all the way into its slot, plugged everything back in, and rebooted.
All lights, fans and hardware seemed to get power including the GTX 1070 (side LEDs lit up), but there was absolutely no display going to any of my 3 monitors.
What I tried to fix it:
  • unplug power, remove GPU and put everything back together once more
  • try single monitors one by one instead of all 3 connected together
  • try only the HDMI port on my motherboard's IO
Mistakes:
  • The Hyper 212 Evo's screws on the front bracket seemed to come extremely short so I had to put significant force on the bracket - and thus CPU - to get those screws to reach. I'm worried I may have caused physical damage to the CPU with the physical force I put on the cooler.
  • I unplugged way more than I needed to when I installed the cooler because I was planning to take the motherboard out - then I realized it doesn't need to come out of the case for me to install it. As far as I know everything is plugged back in where it needs to be.
  • In one of the instances of removing the GPU, I accidentally still had my monitors connected so I was trying to pull the GPU out while it was still stuck in by the 3 HDMI/Display Port connections at the back of the pc
Concerns:
I'm no expert on this stuff. I'm worried that in this process I may have shorted/fried my GPU, CPU or motherboard. Or could this be a result of my crappy PSU surging or not getting sufficient power to something?

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Ralston18

Titan
Mistakes acknowledged - that is good.

My suggestion:

Take the entire computer apart except for the PSU and motherboard. Use a bright light and magnifying glass to examine the motherboard for signs of damage. No rush, no hurry.

Then, using the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual begin a full reassembly as if it were a new build.

Keep your work area neat and clean. Work on a solid surface at a comfortable height. Good lighting is a must.

Plan your actions and lay out the components in the necessary order. Have all tools ready.

Assemble step by step, being careful as you go. Double check everything before and after.

Leave nothing in doubt.

Test anything that you can as you go and if it is not right or not working then stop and resolve.

There should be no need to apply force in any manner.

Note: If the screws are too short then it is likely that the wrong screws were sent or that you somehow used the wrong screws. Get the correct screws.

Keep reading the manuals including all fine print. If something is not clear then google the manufacturer's website, search the internet, look for video's etc. But do not go with the first "answer" you find. Lots of misinformation about.

Overall, I am taking an optimistic view that nothing was actually damaged. No way to really know from this side of things.

If things do not work out you will at least know that you made a good attempt to fix things and will have learned from the experience.