Question No display but GPU fan running really fast

Aerate

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015
So while idly using my PC all of a sudden my display turned off and my GPU fans started spinning crazy fast. Since then i’ve tried reseating components, tried different cables but nothing worked.

I tried putting in the same cables and there’s output from my on board graphics via both VGA and HDMI however none from GPU. does this mean my GPU is fried for sure?

I want to make sure before I spend money on a new GPU that it really is the source of problem(PCI slot gone wrong etc.). Is there anything else I can diagnose?

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Aerate

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015
Ah, my bad.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
BIOS: TCIBX10H.86A.0048.2011.1206.1342 (type: UEFI)
Motherboard: Intel DH55TC
Storage: 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Card name: Nvidia GTX 550 Ti (Currently using Intel(R) HD Graphics)
Monitor Model: Philips 202E
PSU: Corsair VX 450W 2 year old

I noticed my Device Manager and it says my PCI Serial Port driver is missing. Do you think it has anything to do with my PCI port instead of my GPU?

Aerate

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015
So while idly using my PC all of a sudden my display turned off and my GPU fans started spinning crazy fast. Since then i’ve tried reseating components, tried different cables but nothing worked.

I tried putting in the same cables and there’s output from my on board graphics via both VGA and HDMI however none from GPU. does this mean my GPU is fried for sure?

I want to make sure before I spend money on a new GPU that it really is the source of problem(PCI slot gone wrong etc.). Is there anything else I can diagnose?

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
BIOS: TCIBX10H.86A.0048.2011.1206.1342 (type: UEFI)
Motherboard: Intel DH55TC
Storage: 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Card name: Nvidia GTX 550 Ti (Currently using Intel(R) HD Graphics)
Monitor Model: Philips 202E
PSU: Corsair VX 450W 2 year old

I bought a new HDMI to DVI cable and apparently when my GPU busted the cable stopped working as well as the DVI port on my monitor is ruined. Only VGA works.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, the motherboard you own has been known to have a mind of it's own. Second, the PSU on that build isn't good either. Third, in those 2 years, it must've degraded to the point where now the PSU can't output power optimally for the entire system. Forth, you might want to think about investing on an APU build considering that a lot of things on that build of yours is on is now rare to find and/or the cost of replacement parts will add up to an entry level concurrent spec'd system. Fifth, stop creating multiple threads to avoid getting spaghetti brains(for you and the community).

Aerate

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015
Grey label or orange label?

The rest of the system is >10 years old. It can really be everything that's causing this issues with such old system. And when you've fixed this one the next is around the corner.

Haha very well. I thought I'd fix the issue if it's something that can be troubleshooted but it seems like it's time for an upgrade.

Thanks for your help :)