[SOLVED] No display/damaged PCIe x 16 slot

Apr 16, 2020
Hi all,

I am trying to help a friend who has no display output on his PC. He told me he was moving his PC around and when he put it back together and booted, it would not get past the motherboard screen. I suggested he check all connections and reset the CMOS. While trying to get to the battery he told me he pulled on the GPU without releasing the clip. This has resulted in 3 of the last 5 pins in the PCIe x 16 slot looking damaged (see photo). It is the only PCEe x 16 slot on the board. We tried to see if it would boot (at least to the BIOS) without the GPU but the mobo beeps indicating no GPU. Interestingly it doesn't beep when inserted in the damaged slot. Also tried hooking up through the mobo outputs but again, nothing.

BGbuDt6.jpg

My question is, can a PCIe x 16 slot be fixed? I have decent soldering skills but have never worked on a PC mobo before. And would this even be the issue? Given it wasn't booting past the mobo screen before he even touched the case suggests to me there may be something else wrong.

Things we have tried so far:
Different output cables to both the GPU and mobo
Disconnected all non essential components and tried booting with just CPU, M.2 HD, one stick of RAM with and without GPU
Tested GPU on another PC and can confirm it works

Haven't tested the PSU but the machine seems to power up (lights, fans etc).

Solution
The motherboard´s video connectors are not usable because the integrated graphics would be in an APU. The Ryzen 1400 is "only" a CPU and doesn´t provide a graphics unit.
The pins seem to be bent out of the place. Maybe bending these back can solve the issue. The socket might be needed to be lifted a bit, like before with the card inserted, while not releasing it with the clip.

Which CPU and motherboard are you using?

Apr 16, 2020
The pins seem to be bent out of the place. Maybe bending these back can solve the issue. The socket might be needed to be lifted a bit, like before with the card inserted, while not releasing it with the clip.

Which CPU and motherboard are you using?

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I will try find some fine tweezers and have a go. Just looking at it though it's really hard to tell which way they're even bent.

The motherboard is an ASRock AB350M Pro4 with a Ryzen 5 1400 CPU.

TRENDING THREADS