Question No Display, Desktop Shuts off After a few Seconds

Jan 4, 2022
I had to take apart and rebuild my computer recently and (for a couple of weeks) it was working perfectly fine. The only new parts are the tower and power supply. I left it on to download a game overnight and when I got up this morning I couldn't boot it up. After checking the connections I was able to start it up for a while but there was no display to my monitor. I tried connecting an HDMI cord and that didn't work either. I then tried connecting the monitor to my laptop with that same HDMI cord and the monitor was able to display it with no problem. I then tried removing the ram sticks, cleaning them, and cleaning the slots but still no luck.

During these repeated boots and troubleshooting I noticed the computer started to shut itself down after a bit and, I think, a hard drive inside started clicking while it ran (though not the drive the operating system boots from). I tried reapplying the thermal paste twice with no luck. I also tried a different power supply cable and outlet. Powering the computer on from the button on the motherboard seems to keep it on longer than the tower button, but only by 30 or so seconds. Lastly, when it does shut itself down I can't power it back on without flipping the power supply switch in the back.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I've spent most of the day looking up videos and forums for troubleshooting and I don't know how to really tell if it's an issue with the power supply or the CPU. I'm hoping that this sounds like a specific issue to someone more experienced than me. Between the display issues and the shutting off I'm leaning towards the power supply, but I wanted to ask here first before purchasing a new one. Thanks.

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Please add your system specs (make/model/etc.) Off the top of my head sounds like an issue with sleep states/restore (powering off the PSU clears / kills off anything in RAM), but that wouldn't explain the system shutting down after 30s.

Dumb question, is the power button in good shape? If you unhook it and boot from the power pins (motherboard) does it stay on / up?

Do you have a bootable USB? Windows Media Creation of Windows 10 maybe?

Antony

Jan 4, 2022
Please add your system specs (make/model/etc.) Off the top of my head sounds like an issue with sleep states/restore (powering off the PSU clears / kills off anything in RAM), but that wouldn't explain the system shutting down after 30s.

Dumb question, is the power button in good shape? If you unhook it and boot from the power pins (motherboard) does it stay on / up?

Do you have a bootable USB? Windows Media Creation of Windows 10 maybe?

Antony
It's difficult to grab my PC specs as a lot of the parts are older and I wouldn't really know unless I was able to start it and pull them.

Of what I can provide:
GPU: ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080
MB: MSI X99A SLI Plus
PSU: GAMEMAX RGB 850W
RAM: 32G Ripjaws V

Really wish I could provide the CPU. I do recall it's an i7 Intel but nothing beyond that. That PSU was recommended by a friend but after looking it up sounds like they go bad a lot. Got it a few weeks ago. Would it make sense for it to suddenly stop working like that?

Also I tried removing the button from the power pins and booting from the motherboard but same deal. I timed it a few times though and it's rather consistently powering off after around 35 seconds. Between this and the reviews I'm leaning towards PSU and not cheaping out this time. Just hope it didn't fry any parts.

Jan 4, 2022
That's a very strong clue against PSU. You said it is new. How new and what model it is?
The PSU is an 850w RGB from GAMEMAX. It was recommended by a friend and I'm realizing I should've looked into it more before buying it. A bit of an edit to that part you quoted--I was able to repeatedly power it on from the motherboard button, but not from the tower button. Found this out while testing for another reply.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that the PSU is fairly new. Just got it a few weeks ago.

The PSU is an 850w RGB from GAMEMAX. It was recommended by a friend and I'm realizing I should've looked into it more before buying it. A bit of an edit to that part you quoted--I was able to repeatedly power it on from the motherboard button, but not from the tower button. Found this out while testing for another reply.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that the PSU is fairly new. Just got it a few weeks ago.
I would not be surprised if that PSU would go bad just in few weeks.
The part about starting from motherboard button - it is interesting twist. Should work exactly same both ways. For the testing purposes disconnect all the case cables (including case fans) from motherboard. And disconnect the 'clicking' drive, both cables. See if that makes any difference.

Jan 4, 2022
I would not be surprised if that PSU would go bad just in few weeks.
The part about starting from motherboard button - it is interesting twist. Should work exactly same both ways. For the testing purposes disconnect all the case cables (including case fans) from motherboard. And disconnect the 'clicking' drive, both cables. See if that makes any difference.
Alright disconnected all the case cables and the hard drive--no clicking this time but still shut off after about 35 seconds.

I don't unfortunately, the only way I'd have access to another PSU is to buy a new one.
Too bad as we can't determine which part exactly is a problem. And the chances seem to be close to 50/50. PSU is not great, but mobo is definitely not new I guess. If that was my rig I would go for new PSU. Reasons are twofold: Gamemax is not something I would want powering my rig anyway; and getting replacement X99 mobo might be much harder then new PSU.

Jan 4, 2022
Too bad as we can't determine which part exactly is a problem. And the chances seem to be close to 50/50. PSU is not great, but mobo is definitely not new I guess. If that was my rig I would go for new PSU. Reasons are twofold: Gamemax is not something I would want powering my rig anyway; and getting replacement X99 mobo might be much harder then new PSU.
Gotcha, well thanks for the help. I'll get a replacement PSU first and update then.

Gotcha, well thanks for the help. I'll get a replacement PSU first and update then.
Just make sure it's quality one this time. Ideally you want something from Tier A or B of our curated PSU list:

Reactions: AntonyLovric

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Sorry I missed all the fun. The reason I mentioned the sleep states is because some sleep states use a little power, flipping the switch kills the ram and forces a full (cold) reboot. The problem with the motherboard power switch vs the chassis power switch is an important clue though. If there is a problem with the motherboard power switch sensing (detecting the grounding of the power pin) it might be some weird floating voltage thing. I agree with DRagor about having a good power supply..

Couple Questions:
Have you checked the CMOS battery? Is it very old / do you have a multi-meter?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS, then restarting? I was reading in a thread below that the OC if not correct can cause a similar issue.

Weird issue with MSI X99A SLI Plus (and maybe power supply?) | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)
MSI x99a SLI Plus MOBO malfunction again | MSI Global English Forum - Index

https://www.google.com/search?q=msi+x99a+sli+plus+rebooting+site:forum-en.msi.com

Jan 4, 2022
Just make sure it's quality one this time. Ideally you want something from Tier A or B of our curated PSU list:
Well I got a new power supply, a Corsair RM850X, and it's still powering off after about 35 seconds. Though there is a new development. The lights in the case and the fans seemed to be running weak (some flickering in the lights and quiet fans). I'm unsure though if this is an issue with the new power supply or if the motherboard has an issue due to all of my messing around with it and the restarts. This and the fact that it's still shutting off at the same time makes me think it might be the motherboard unfortunately. When replacing that do I need to get the same model?

Update: After rechecking connections and plugging it into a different outlet, it is able to run without shutting down but is still unable to display. The light on my CPU cooler still has a weird flicker and one of the case fans is failing to light up. Additionally, when it starts up there is no loud "wurr" sound like there normally is from the GPU since using the new power supply.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022
Sorry I missed all the fun. The reason I mentioned the sleep states is because some sleep states use a little power, flipping the switch kills the ram and forces a full (cold) reboot. The problem with the motherboard power switch vs the chassis power switch is an important clue though. If there is a problem with the motherboard power switch sensing (detecting the grounding of the power pin) it might be some weird floating voltage thing. I agree with DRagor about having a good power supply..

Couple Questions:
Have you checked the CMOS battery? Is it very old / do you have a multi-meter?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS, then restarting? I was reading in a thread below that the OC if not correct can cause a similar issue.

Weird issue with MSI X99A SLI Plus (and maybe power supply?) | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)
MSI x99a SLI Plus MOBO malfunction again | MSI Global English Forum - Index

https://www.google.com/search?q=msi+x99a+sli+plus+rebooting+site:forum-en.msi.com
I tried clearing the CMOS and the battery is fairly old, probably about 6 years or so. Unfortunately no luck. Also I don't have a multi-meter.

Lots of new info to consider. In no particular order:

I hope you replaced all Gamemax cables with Corsair ones?
battery is fairly old, probably about 6 years or so
Worth replacing with new one. While the chances are it won't do anything, comparing the cost of battery to the cost of mobo it would be sin no to try.
Well I got a new power supply, a Corsair RM850X, and it's still powering off after about 35 seconds
Too bad it didn't solve the problem. But on the bright side, you got one of the best PSU, and you will not need to buy another in next 10 years.
After rechecking connections and plugging it into a different outlet, it is able to run without shutting down but is still unable to display.
I do hope it was matter of bad connections. Because if switching outlets changes behavior of your PC that says bad things about electricity grid in your place.
The light on my CPU cooler still has a weird flicker and one of the case fans is failing to light up
Move the fan cables to different header to see if that's motherboard problem or maybe fans are failing (unless those are RGB fans with separate cables for lighting?)
when it starts up there is no loud "wurr" sound like there normally is from the GPU since using the new power supply.
That's actually good I think. You don't want strange sounds from GPU anytime. Unless you talking about GPU fans speeding up at the start and now they don't? Did you connect PCIe cable(s) to GPU?

I was kind of shocked to discover your board has no debug LEDs/displays at all. Now that it keeps running it would be worth to do more tests, but without any spare parts and debug LEDs it's almost impossible.

Jan 4, 2022
Lots of new info to consider. In no particular order:

I hope you replaced all Gamemax cables with Corsair ones?

Worth replacing with new one. While the chances are it won't do anything, comparing the cost of battery to the cost of mobo it would be sin no to try.

Too bad it didn't solve the problem. But on the bright side, you got one of the best PSU, and you will not need to buy another in next 10 years.

I do hope it was matter of bad connections. Because if switching outlets changes behavior of your PC that says bad things about electricity grid in your place.

Move the fan cables to different header to see if that's motherboard problem or maybe fans are failing (unless those are RGB fans with separate cables for lighting?)

That's actually good I think. You don't want strange sounds from GPU anytime. Unless you talking about GPU fans speeding up at the start and now they don't? Did you connect PCIe cable(s) to GPU?

I was kind of shocked to discover your board has no debug LEDs/displays at all. Now that it keeps running it would be worth to do more tests, but without any spare parts and debug LEDs it's almost impossible.
For starters I did switch out the cables, yes. I don't think it was specifically the outlet that changed the shutdown issue as it was shutting down when I tried that same outlet with the old power supply. Re-checked the fan connections and they seem to be running fine now, still an odd flicker on both their and the cooler's rgb though. Might've just bent the prongs(?) while doing everything. Lastly, yes I meant the fans aren't speeding up on start-up in the GPU and I did connect with PCIe cables.

I'll certainly try a new battery first and switch out the PCIe cord while I'm at it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS