No Display from GFX Card, need ideas

sKylo Ren

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
Hi, I am suddenly having problems with my graphics card, a MSI R9 380 4G Gaming, but I have used it for over a year and a half. When I try to boot my computer, not even the BIOS will display, but the motherboard will detect no errors. It will even boot into Windows if I let it (I can only tell because it plays the Windows start-up sound.)

The card's fans spin normally, and the LED on the side of it lights up like normal too. So far I have tried the following: reseating the card multiple times, reconnecting all power connections, booting with only my SSD plugged in, and inspecting the card - I don't see anything immediately obvious, but I haven't ever taken it apart.

I am sure it is the card that is broken, but since it still boots to Windows, although never outputting video, I feel like it could possibly be something small. What would my next step be? I took the backplate and the fan/heatsink off, and I wasn't able to see anything apparently wrong. Should I try putting it in an oven? Is there a different way to test it?

Edit: I forgot to list that I have also tried using the DisplayPort output with a DP to HDMI cable, and I also tried using the HDMI output. I usually use DVI. I have also tried using different monitors. The driver doesn't matter for seeing the BIOS of my motherboard, right? Just after POST?

I was using Windows 10 at the time it stopped working, but I reinstalled with Windows 7, since I had to use an old card to even get into the BIOS of my motherboard. I first started using an x600, now I am using a 9800GT.

My motherboard is a Biostar TH55B. The only hardware that has changed since my 380 was working is the 9800GT, and that was only so I could get my computer to work again after the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? Would it be cost effective to try to have a shop repair the card?

sKylo Ren

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016

Thank you, but I have tried all that besides a different motherboard, but I am currently using an old 9800GT with the same setup, including the monitor and cables, so could it even possibly be the motherboard? I am using the same PCI-e slot.

ashifkhanoppoa37

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2018

Means your card is no more.
Better to buy new one.
Like GTX 1060 or 1070

ashifkhanoppoa37

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2018

Ok try to heat the card.
If it not work then buy a gtx 1060 gaming x card