No display from R9 290x at all

Zetik

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Hello, sorry if this is not the right place for this post. I have an XFX R9 290x graphics card in my system, it's with the asus sabertooth 990fx mobo, and a 650w psu, along with amd fx 6300 psu. This set up worked totally fine for about one week, then i left for about 3-4 hours, leaving the system running and when i returned the monitor was off and would not wake up. I shut it down using the button and got one long and three short beeps from the motherboard (graphics problem). I tried a few things, and nothing worked. The next morning it turned on fine, then same thing, i left for a few hours and came back to a black screen, and after a restart the same beeping with no display at all, the monitor doesnt turn on. Now on the GPU towards the left side where it connect to the mobo slot the gold tip of the connector of the GPU is showing. The amount of gold gradually increases as you look to the left of it. Is this the problem? That its not connect properly? If so why did it work for a week, and another few hours between black screens? Also i cant move the card into the mobo any further. Thank you for reading and i appreciate any help at all. Also this is my first post, sorry if any of this was hard to read or didn't make sense! One more thing, the white led and the fans on my video card are spinning so its getting power, I've also tried 2 different displays and have tried but hdmi and dvi ports.

Thank you for all the responses. My brother came over and helped me out, The GPU was not seated correctly, but it also apparently had some problems, going to have to RMA it, have my old one in for now. I appreciate the help!

Solution

Smudgy

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

yes re-seat the gpu ive got an xfx 290x.also when you put in your locking screw make sure you support the card up when screwing the card in.The weight of the card tends to make it sag down a bit.thus loosing connection with the pci-e port.thus getting black screens intermintedly. its has to lock in.I"m under the assumption you used a locking srew that is cause if not thats your main problem good luck.oh post note if its showing gold connections on one end or the other is a definite sign of not seated properly or possible at worst case warped board

Solution