[SOLVED] No display from RTX 3080 in top PCIe slot of MSI X570 Tomahawk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2021
X570 Tomahawk with 3080 in top PCIe slot doesn’t want to display.

I just finished my PC build today and have ran into the issue of my 3080 not being able to display when connected to the top PCIE_E1 slot. However, I can get it to display when I connect it to the Bottom PCIE_E3 slot. This is strange as both are X16 slots.

I should also note that when the GPU is plugged into the E1 slot, I get a VGA debug light. The GPU is also less audible when I plug into E1 unlike when I plug it into E3 where you can clearly hear the GPU fans spin aggressively. The RGB on the 3080 still turns on no matter what slot it’s in.

The test that I’ve run are as follows:

- I have a seasonic 850w PSU and put two separate PCIE power cables to power the GPU, originally I only had one PCIE power cable connecting to the power slots on the GPU, but seasonic recommends to use two seperate PCIE power cables for high powered GPU’s

-I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and still got nothing.

- I don’t have windows installed.

- another side note, my 32GB of Corsair vengeance 3600mhz ram only shows up as 2666mhz on the bios. I have changed it to be 3600mhz by using an Xamp profile. Is this normal?

-I have an NVME m.2 ssd connected. Not sure if that conflicts with the E1 PCIE port. I heard somewhere that switching the boot order could work, but I’m not too sure on how to do that.

I’m not sure where to go from here. I will list the rest of the PC specs in case that helps, but any help would be great. Thank you.

SSD: x1 Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
x1 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Sata SSD

CPU cooler: Kraken x63

CPU: Ryzen 6 3600

CASE: Nzxt h510 Elite Case

Solution
What happens if you force PCIe gen 3 in bios using the bottom slot then save / power down and try top slot afterwards.

Im suspecting compatibility issues with top slot with PCIe gen 4. Bios update may help if available. And why it works bottom slot is it's running from mobo chipset. Hopefully forcing PCIe slot to 3 works.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What happens if you force PCIe gen 3 in bios using the bottom slot then save / power down and try top slot afterwards.

Im suspecting compatibility issues with top slot with PCIe gen 4. Bios update may help if available. And why it works bottom slot is it's running from mobo chipset. Hopefully forcing PCIe slot to 3 works.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.