• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question No Display issue - ASUS PRIME H310I-PLUS R2.0 Motherboard

May 16, 2020
Hello,

I am building a new PC, and cannot boot it up as, whilst the machine appears to power on fine, there is no display shown on the monitor. I have checked the obvious things (connections, and so on).

Following the ASUS guide, I have disconnected everything except power, d-sub and 1 slot of RAM. When booting up, the PC speaker issues this:

Short beep shortly after pressing power. A few seconds then: Long beep, 3 short beeps, few seconds pause, then one last short beep.

Is that 3 or 4 short beeps?

3 signifies GFX, but I have no GFX installed, I am connecting directly to the Motherboard's D-SUB - So assume it isn't GFX
4 signifies CPU, but this appears fine. It's installed correctly, the CPU fan is working.

Its an Intel i5-9400 CPU, which is compatible according to the list.

I've also tried clearing the CMOS, taking the battery out and shorting the pins as it instructed. I assume this worked, but can't tell as there is no display and BIOS won't load.

Any suggestions appreciated

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
I assume so, the i5-9400F is in that list?
It's in the list so your issue isn't with the CPU. Maybe the BIOS doesn't support it? I know some of the 400 series AMD boards would need a BIOS update before a 3000 series CPU could be used. At least those with early versions of the BIOS.

Maybe the motherboard is bad?

May 20, 2020
Asus website shows different BIOS versions depending upon the rev. There should be a sticker on the board with a series of numbers the last of which is the BIOS version.

Terry

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS