No Display. Monitor --> Graphics Card

VaconeerTM

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
I have a monitor that uses a dvi cable. I hook it up to my mobo, it displays just fine using integrated Intel HD Graphics. Then I try to hook it into my Graphics card and no display. (This is a new build, but ive had the same cable, video card, and monitor from my last pc). I restart it with the cable in. My video seems to power on, as the fan spins, I have the 4 pin connector in. Plain out no display from monitor no matter what ive tried. You might think switching my graphics boot in bios would help, but it doesnt. It asks me to switch to pci or Something that is the integrated. I switch to pci, restart my pc and quickly plug dvi into graphics card, but no display still happens. I even fully shut it off and on. I plug it back into mobo and it displays. The settings for graphics boot seem to always go back to auto choose too.

Setup:
Radeon HD 6870 AMD
Intel Pentium g3258
ASUS H81M-D PLUS LGA 1150

Solution
Okay so that means it is not getting a signal from your motherboard when you turn on the computer. This generally means the connection is bad, the card is bad or the PCI slot is bad with the motherboard. Even if you had the wrong drivers it would boot up in VGA mode. So I would start with the wire. Bring that into a shop and see if they can plug it into one of their monitors. AFter that then we are getting in to more delicate stuff.

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
How many watts is your powersupply? What brand is it? Make sure the 2 6 pins pci power cable is connected. IF thats not the solution then try resetting the bios by turning off your computer and take out the psu cable, then take the motherboard battery out for like 10 to 20 seconds or so. pop it back in and see if it works.

VaconeerTM

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

Mine is a Corsair CX 500, which is 500 watts.

VaconeerTM

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

I have used the monitor and video card with most likely same cable before, no problems. So should I try to use different cables?

Brighttail

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Ah, well yes, that is the next trouble shooting step, I have had DVI cables go bad. YOu can also try something an HDMI cable to ensure the DVI port isn't bad. have you checked all the connections to the video card and such?

Might even try a different monitor to make sure it isn't the monitor.

VaconeerTM

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

Im not sure what you mean by connections, but pci port seems to pick up my video card, as when i tried reseating it It downloaded a driver that something to do with pc somethings (Bus mightve been included)

Brighttail

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
I meant the power connections. Sometimes those get unseated.

LIke is said, we are just doing basic toubleshooting, making sure all the connecters are good, trying different cables, trying different monitors. If it has been working and stopped suddenly, it indicates something along the line has failed.

VaconeerTM

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

Well there are no other monitors and no more hdmi cables :(
Also, I only have a 4 pin cable in my graphics card, there is another one with it that is 2 pin, but it doesn't fit anywhere so i'd assume its out.

Brighttail

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Well you can always take these things into a computer store to have them tested. The cable is the easiset, they can just plug it in to see if it works. One question when you plug you rmonitor in and boot it up are you getting a BLUE light on it or an orange light?

VaconeerTM

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

When i plug it into video card, NOTHING happens. I might also mention that these are my ports from website of graphics card 2 x DVI (1 Single Link, 1 Dual Link) and ive tried both. But my monitor pick,s up motherboard no problem
***NOTE***
I also just felt copper tubing in it and it is COLD. That might imply IDK, maybe its not even connected to motherboard or something,

Brighttail

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Your monitor should have at least an orange light on it when powered, orange shows it is on but not receiving a signal from the mother board. Blue means it is receiving a signal. So if you are getting NO light at all, i'm wondering if you monitor is pooched. Can you hear anything when you start it up? Try maybe a different power cable to it?

VaconeerTM

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

I meant to say it is orange, but not blue lol sorry

Brighttail

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Okay so that means it is not getting a signal from your motherboard when you turn on the computer. This generally means the connection is bad, the card is bad or the PCI slot is bad with the motherboard. Even if you had the wrong drivers it would boot up in VGA mode. So I would start with the wire. Bring that into a shop and see if they can plug it into one of their monitors. AFter that then we are getting in to more delicate stuff.

Solution