No display... MSI x370 Gaming Carbon Pro.

maverickmuff

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Alright everyone! Here's a real stinker here!
Ever since having my new computer. It has never beeped. Even on a successful boot.
Built the computer last week, and in the first try. Got BIOS and everything. Set it up and everything.
Got it working, windows installed. Steam is installed. Updated drivers and everything.
One day. In the middle of PUBG. My computer froze. And for ten minutes I tried getting it to respond. But nothing. Computer froze 100%.
Do a hard reboot. Nothing. I have only one 8GB stick of RAM so I switched it around from its' default slot. What ever slot I plug it to. The LED for that slot is on.
My GPU fans will spin but turn off after a bit. I've made sure all screws are in to eliminate all possible PSU issues.
But no booting. No posting. Blank screen. I've tried jumping my computer, unplugging everything and plugging it back in.
Again. My computer has NEVER beeped for anything since I've gotten it. So I can not get a beep code out of it. LED'S, CPU fan, Chasis fan all work. And GPU is getting power but then being cut when computer does not boot. I'm thinking it's a RAM issue since RAM LED is on?
Help....
-
Here is my set up!
GPU: GTX 970 ACX FTW 2.0
RAM: Hyper X Fury 2666mhz
CPU: Ryzen 1700x
PSU: 550w EVGA Gold
Motherboard: MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon

Tanyac

Reputable
Just to make sure I understand - When you say "all work" you mean the CPU fan and chassis fans spin up and keep spinning, even though the system will not boot?

So you have completely removed the GPU from the motherboard and it still doesn't boot?

The graphics card is an EVGA, right? So have you installed EVGA Precision to manage the cards temps under load?

Some graphics cards have "0db fans"; They don't spin up at low temps. The specs for the EVGA FTW don't say whether your card does that so I assume it doesn't - meaning the fan(s) should be spinning at all times.

FWIW - PUBG is a real GPU killer. Even with good cooling it's not unusual to see temps between 80 - 90 degrees Celsius. Yours would not be the first GPU to be fried by this game.

Sounds to me more like a GPU issue. Have you got another GPU you can test in the PC?

If anyone has other theories - please chime in.

maverickmuff

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I do have another GPU. I don't know it is too old though... It is a GTX 260... From 2008.
And yes, the chassis and CPU fan keep spinning.

Tanyac

Reputable
Doesn't matter how old the card is, we just want to test if you can get a display and the OS up and running. It will do for a test.
Also, the x370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC has a DVI-D and HDMI internal graphics ports on the motherboard. You could also try that

Tanyac

Reputable
Ok, looking at your manual, the DIMM LEDS light when a module is installed.

For a single stick, it should be in DIMMA2, the second slot from the left (Second closest to the CPU).
On the right side of the board, just above the ATX power connector, there are 4 LEDS,

From top to bottom they are CPU, DRAM, VGA and Boot drive.

Are all of them off?

If the DRAM LED is on it means the motherboard was either unable to detect the RAM or it failed POST tests.

The same goes for the other LEDS - The corresponding device wasn't detected or failed POST.

Another thing you can try, if you haven't already, is to clear/reset your BIOS. Just above the PCIe1 slot (You might have to remove the graphics card if you can't get access to it), is a Clear CMOS jumper. Turn off and unplug computer, and short the pins on the jumper for 5-10 seconds.
Plug power back in and try again.

Any luck?

Tanyac

Reputable
This is uncommon for parts only a week old.

Well, you're now in the undesirable position of "Process of elimination". You've done some of the that already but now we need to isolate the final few components. The motherboard, RAM and PSU. Do you have access to spares of a PSU and RAM?

Replace each one at a time and test.

Remove the graphics card and use the iGPU on the motherboard/CPU.

Also, do you have access to another computer you can install the GTX 970 in? See if it works in another PC?

If after testing the RAM and PSU, it still doesn't work then it's starting to look like a motherboard fault.

FWIW: Once you get the system operational, please make sure you run a GPU software package, like EVGA Precision X if your card is an EVGA. PUBG hasn't been optimized and currently turns GPU's into household heaters.

maverickmuff

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I currently have my 970 back in my old computer and running just fine.
Also. Ryzen cpu's dont have onboard graphics. So that's not an option currently.
I have a space psu that I can use.

maverickmuff

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I decided to say "fuck it" and unplug my RAM while my computer was turned on.
Turned PSU off, turned it back on. Now my computer works perfectly fine. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

TRENDING THREADS