[SOLVED] No display on 1st ON attempt I need to turn off the PSU first then turn ON again to display.

parapala23

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I notice this change in my PC before it will turn Display right away on 1st ON but now I need to turn off 1st the PSU and turn ON again so that it will display... it's just the 1st attempt. When I restart it no problem... just the 1st Turn ON attempt after not being used for a few hours. Everything is working at 1st attempt fans ligts just the display.

My Specs
i3 2100
Asrock H61m-vs3
Kinsgton DDR3 PC-1333 2 x 4Gb
Asus HD6770 GDDR5 1Gb
Western Digital SSD Green 240Gb
Inplay GS450 True Rated

Solution
So, that PSU is both very old and very poor quality. Given those two factors, this isn't surprising at all. Additionally you have a motherboard that is about 9 years old, so it's also possible that your power supply is not seeing the power good signal returned from the motherboard on the initial attempt. Either is a possibility.

Given the age and generally poor quality of the power supply you have, I'd definitely recommend replacing that FIRST. It is, obviously, the most probable cause of your problem. The fact that you have some lights and fans really doesn't mean anything, and certainly doesn't mean you don't have a power supply issue.

Honestly, even without having any problems, replacing that power supply would be a wise decision...
So, that PSU is both very old and very poor quality. Given those two factors, this isn't surprising at all. Additionally you have a motherboard that is about 9 years old, so it's also possible that your power supply is not seeing the power good signal returned from the motherboard on the initial attempt. Either is a possibility.

Given the age and generally poor quality of the power supply you have, I'd definitely recommend replacing that FIRST. It is, obviously, the most probable cause of your problem. The fact that you have some lights and fans really doesn't mean anything, and certainly doesn't mean you don't have a power supply issue.

Honestly, even without having any problems, replacing that power supply would be a wise decision. Pretty sure that is an old Huntkey built power supply, which isn't a particularly desirable fact.

Solution

parapala23

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020

Honestly, even without having any problems, replacing that power supply would be a wise decision. Pretty sure that is an old Huntkey built power supply, which isn't a particularly desirable fact.
actually sir this is just a fun rebuild my CPU is from my old unit and my motherboard is a 2nd hand obviously an old one to. But my PSU is brandnew and 3months old only. I was also thinking about my GPU it was a 2nd hand and pretty old also. It was like if the power is all drained and I turned it on that's the time it has no display like my GPU is not working and only in the 2nd attempt it will display... could this also be my MoBo has something wrong try to make the GPU work at 1st?

I understand that you may have only purchased that PSU recently, but it's an old platform, from around 2011. If it is "new" then it is likely "new old stock" meaning it sat on a shelf for the last 8-9 years and was then sold to you. That means the capacitors inside it have aged while it was sitting. It does not need to be run in order for that to happen. So, the fact that you only recently bought it does have a lot to do with it being "old" or not. Also, as I said, it's not a very good unit to begin with.

As you say though, all of the hardware is rather old, including the motherboard and graphics card, and if the PSU is not the problem then I'd suspect the motherboard or graphics card are. Likely, the motherboard. Age is the worst enemy of motherboards, and of all components aside from power supplies that fail due to age, motherboards seem to be the most affected by aging.

Memory and CPUs rarely fail, unless there is a good reason for it such as abuse or long term overclocking, so those are unlikely.

It certainly COULD be the graphics card though, but the only way you're going to really determine that is by trying a different graphics card in the system to see if it still happens. Or, remove the graphics card completely from the motherboard, then plug the display cable into the motherboard output to use the integrated graphics and see if it still happens.

parapala23

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I understand that you may have only purchased that PSU recently, but it's an old platform, from around 2011. If it is "new" then it is likely "new old stock" meaning it sat on a shelf for the last 8-9 years and was then sold to you. That means the capacitors inside it have aged while it was sitting. It does not need to be run in order for that to happen. So, the fact that you only recently bought it does have a lot to do with it being "old" or not. Also, as I said, it's not a very good unit to begin with.

As you say though, all of the hardware is rather old, including the motherboard and graphics card, and if the PSU is not the problem then I'd suspect the motherboard or graphics card are. Likely, the motherboard. Age is the worst enemy of motherboards, and of all components aside from power supplies that fail due to age, motherboards seem to be the most affected by aging.

Memory and CPUs rarely fail, unless there is a good reason for it such as abuse or long term overclocking, so those are unlikely.

It certainly COULD be the graphics card though, but the only way you're going to really determine that is by trying a different graphics card in the system to see if it still happens. Or, remove the graphics card completely from the motherboard, then plug the display cable into the motherboard output to use the integrated graphics and see if it still happens.
actually I was also thinking about that sir trying my integrated graphics first.
because this morning when I first turn it on same problem occur but when I touched the GPU fan it was working so I was thinking it wasn't really my PSU was the problem because it provides power to all my components at 1st time startup maybe something is wrong with my GPU and MoBo. Actually Sir my PSU is really brand new and sealed it's not also an old model so I think my GPU and MoBo really has something to do with this.

parapala23

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020

I tried to turn it on this morning sir with built in graphics but no luck I turn it off and turn it on for 3 times but still no display and when I switched to my GPU it's working good so I guess it's my MoBo having a problem and even my integrated soundcard right now is not working I am using USB Sound Card right now.