Question No display on 3060, but confirmed working - ultimate troubleshooting nightmare.

Mar 14, 2023
TL;DR: System works with my old 1660 Super, but not my 3060. Had the 3060 sent for testing and they have confirmed it is working in their system.

My specs:
  • PSU: Deepcool DQ 650W
  • MOBO: MSI Pro B660m-a (Brand new)
  • RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz (Brand new)
  • GPU: Zotac RTX 3060 12GB
  • CPU: i5 12600KF w/ Cooler Master ML240L V2 (Brand new)
  • 1x 2TB HDD
  • 2x 500gb SSD
My problems: (is very complicated but will keep a short as possible)
My PC is not displaying any output. It all started when it froze one day, so I shut it down. After that, it would boot, but there was no display and no error codes; it was getting into windows as I could hear the start up sound. I tried various troubleshooting steps, and sometimes I could get it to work by removing two of the four RAM sticks, but usually the display would drop out after about five minutes.
By chance, I discovered that my old 1660 Super would work fine if I let it sag in the PCIe slot, but if the card was bumped or moved, the display would cut out. I tried the same with the 3060, but it didn't work. After further testing, I decided to replace both the motherboard and RAM, as they were likely culprits from my testing. However, with the new motherboard, the 3060 is not being detected (white LED on the VGA debug). The system works flawlessly with the 1660 Super, though.
Thinking that the 3060 was the issue, I returned it to the company I purchased it from. However, they informed me that the card was working perfectly in their test system and even sent me videos showing that it was working. So, now I'm at a loss as to what could be causing the issue, as everything works when using the 1660 Super but not with the 3060, which has been professionally tested and confirmed to be working. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Observations & other things I have tried:
Testing individual RAM in each slot and using 1 ram stick
Swapping PSU (Corsair 750W)
Updating BIOS
Resetting BIOS
DDU drivers and reinstalled
Using DP and HDMI and in each of the ports.
Sometimes the fans on the 3060 will spin up, but usually they just twitch for a second and then stop.
I noticed when leaving the PC off for a while, I have different results. eg. After I got the 3060 back from the technician, on the first boot there was no VGA led and I heard the windows start up sound - just no display. All boots after that, the VGA led comes on and so it doesn't boot.

TL;DR: System works with my old 1660 Super, but not my 3060. Had the 3060 sent for testing and they have confirmed it is working in their system.

My specs:
  • PSU: Deepcool DQ 650W
  • MOBO: MSI Pro B660m-a (Brand new)
  • RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz (Brand new)
  • GPU: Zotac RTX 3060 12GB
  • CPU: i5 12600KF w/ Cooler Master ML240L V2 (Brand new)
  • 1x 2TB HDD
  • 2x 500gb SSD
My problems: (is very complicated but will keep a short as possible)
My PC is not displaying any output. It all started when it froze one day, so I shut it down. After that, it would boot, but there was no display and no error codes; it was getting into windows as I could hear the start up sound. I tried various troubleshooting steps, and sometimes I could get it to work by removing two of the four RAM sticks, but usually the display would drop out after about five minutes.
By chance, I discovered that my old 1660 Super would work fine if I let it sag in the PCIe slot, but if the card was bumped or moved, the display would cut out. I tried the same with the 3060, but it didn't work. After further testing, I decided to replace both the motherboard and RAM, as they were likely culprits from my testing. However, with the new motherboard, the 3060 is not being detected (white LED on the VGA debug). The system works flawlessly with the 1660 Super, though.
Thinking that the 3060 was the issue, I returned it to the company I purchased it from. However, they informed me that the card was working perfectly in their test system and even sent me videos showing that it was working. So, now I'm at a loss as to what could be causing the issue, as everything works when using the 1660 Super but not with the 3060, which has been professionally tested and confirmed to be working. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Observations & other things I have tried:
Testing individual RAM in each slot and using 1 ram stick
Swapping PSU (Corsair 750W)
Updating BIOS
Resetting BIOS
DDU drivers and reinstalled
Using DP and HDMI and in each of the ports.
Sometimes the fans on the 3060 will spin up, but usually they just twitch for a second and then stop.
I noticed when leaving the PC off for a while, I have different results. eg. After I got the 3060 back from the technician, on the first boot there was no VGA led and I heard the windows start up sound - just no display. All boots after that, the VGA led comes on and so it doesn't boot.
Please look into your bios and confirm your bios is set to uefi not legacy boot