No display on gpu, mitherboard ports are working.

Feb 1, 2019
I recently built my first custom build. Here are the specs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cty9dX

I have tried everything anyone I ha e asked can think of, and have read many forum posts looking for solutions. When I boot up my computer, and my BIOS is set for the PCI e slot, nothing will display from either my gpu ports or motherboard. If I remove the gpu I can get display from my motherboard. I have tried the DVI and HDMI ports on the GPU. When I try to install the driver, I get the error that there is no compatible hardware detected. Things I have tried so far:

Replaced the motherboard.
Had the gpu tested on a different computer and it worked successfully.
Tested the PSU, and it is operating successfully, including the PCIe cable.

I am extremely frustrated with this and will take any advice I can.

Thanks in advance.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
"no compatible hardware detected" is usually a sign that the card is not being recognized; not functioning. But how do you get that error message if the card doesn't present a display?

Btw, you don't need to have the BIOS set to the PCIe x16 slot. That is just indicates what it looks for first. It will find the card if it was working.

Feb 1, 2019
When I set to the integrated graphics to be default in the bios, I can get the disllay through tbe motherboard. I attempt to install the driver and get the no detected error when attempting the nvidia driver. I know the gpu works because I had it tested in a different computer and it worked perfectly fine. I have since replaced to a new motherboard and still did not get anything. This sounds like a crazy idea, but could it be that only my DP ports are working before the driver is updated?

Feb 1, 2019
I have found the problem. At some point, my GPU picked up skme sort of tape/film over two of the pins. Since where I bought the gpu does not allow gpu returns, I thought I might as well remove it since its mine forever no matter what. Plugged it back in and boom it worked like a charm!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Well... that's weird. I kinda wished you'd have take a photo of that. By 'pins' do you mean the edge connector or the 8-pin socket? But anyway, all's well that ends well.