No display on Monitor after motherboard upgrade

phila1206

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
HI All,

Just wondering if I can get some help.

I recently brought some upgrades for my computer( msi Z97 U plus motherboard, nzxt x41 cpu cooler and nzxt h440 case) , after putting it all together, I cant get a signal to a Monitor.

The computer turns on, all fans start to run, but the GPU fans start and stop every few seconds, and I cant get any display on the Monitor.

I have tested the GPU in another computer and it starts up fine. Its a GTX 680. I also tested another graphics card, a gtx 770, in my new set up, and the fans on that spin up fine, but still no display.

Is this maybe a PSU issue? I have a corsair cx750w. It was from my old computer, which was unfortunately smashed due to certain circumstances haha, im just thinking maybe something in the PSU has been damaged.

Or maybe a motherboard issue?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Phil

phila1206

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Thanks All,

I re used my SSD with windows 7 pro already installed.

Is this the problem?? Should i back up the stuff and re format the drive and try again.

The next option is to send the Motherboard back :(

jimpz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I would do a reinstall, your current SSD/OS has the drivers from you old hardware & is most likely the problem,
While a bad mobo could be the issue, you could send it back, get a new one & same thing.

Againstgraphics

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

i have used a windows 7 drive in another system and it worked perfectly fine

jimpz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Nightowl, sometimes, if the mobo's are close, it will work, many times it will not & a reinstall is needed. (occasionally when it 'does' work, you may have occasional problems that you don't associate with, but are caused by the old install.

phila1206

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know the problem is now fixed.. A stupid mistake on my behalf haha.

I had the ram plugged into the 2nd and 4th slot on the motherboard.. As soon as I swapped it over it it started fine. I did re install my OS as well anyways.

I thought some one told me that ram can be either in the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th. Just not in any other combinations, unless all 4 are filled. Obviously not haha.

Cheers