Question No display on monitor all of a sudden.

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Hi guys, so my brothers pc has been working fine for years, and all of a sudden the pc isn't outputting a display. Trying to troubleshoot I could get to the windows login screen, it would start to load and then the displays would cut out and receive no signal. Having a quick google my assumptions were confirmed that it could be a display driver issue. I booted to windows again, held shift and restart and booted into safe mode. Everything loaded and I had a desktop back. I then used DDU to uninstall the drivers and reboot. The pc rebooted fine and went to the desktop as presumed, however, when trying to download the GPU driver from Nvidia's website, mid download windows had obviously downloaded their own display driver, the resolution went to normal, then seconds later.. No. Signal...
Now if I try to reboot I get no signal at all, so can't even try to relaunch into safe mode and try again... any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers - Matty

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
Ryzen 5 1600x
Asus prime b350-plus
Msi Gtx 980
EVGA Supernova 650 G3 650w 80+ gold modular psu
Corsair Vengeance lpx 4x4 gb 2666 Mhz ram
WD blue 1tb hdd
Gigabyte wifi card
C
All in a phanteks P400

i know some of this probably eont be a factor but i never know! Cheers for any help you can give pal

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
You could try either re-seating the card in it's original slot or moving it the other slot. But first try a cold boot into safe mode and check event viewer for any errors related to your graphics. That might indicate if the card is dead or dying.

Also if you haven't already check and double check all cables and connections.

Reactions: ThatGhilliedGuy

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
You could try either re-seating the card in it's original slot or moving it the other slot. But first try a cold boot into safe mode and check event viewer for any errors related to your graphics. That might indicate if the card is dead or dying.

Also if you haven't already check and double check all cables and connections.
Reseated the card and got to a point where i could launch into windows, got to the desktop did the same thing, also tried a separate card. Did the same thing.

Reactions: spacejunk

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Okay ive now got to a point where i can load to the desktop and its fine while everythings loading. The minute i try to do anything the system just restarts? And we’re back to square one?

Is it possible to swap out the PSU ?

My guess so far is that the PCIE on the board has either failed or it's not being delivered enough power to do anything but render the desktop.

As you said its been working for years and suddenly pooped itself without any major changes or user inputs. Unless you've overlooked something extremely simple like a loose cable, it's likely something serious like hardware failure.

If you can test with another PSU that would at least eliminate a relatively easy cure to the problem. Beyond that I don't know what else to suggest. It's a damn shame that the 1600x has no IGP.

Reactions: ThatGhilliedGuy

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Is it possible to swap out the PSU ?

My guess so far is that the PCIE on the board has either failed or it's not being delivered enough power to do anything but render the desktop.

As you said its been working for years and suddenly pooped itself without any major changes or user inputs. Unless you've overlooked something extremely simple like a loose cable, it's likely something serious like hardware failure.

If you can test with another PSU that would at least eliminate a relatively easy cure to the problem. Beyond that I don't know what else to suggest. It's a damn shame that the 1600x has no IGP.
Ive been so busy with work over the last month I've only just seen this comment mate sorry! No I don't have any spare psu's lying around unfortunately, here's what I;ve tried so far.
  • Reseating all ram slots,
  • Fresh windows install,
  • reseating all cables,
  • Swapping out GPU's
  • Testing both PCI-e Slots with both GPU's
  • Swapping out drives

I really don't get what's happened, the pc was fine up till it moved when he got his room re - done, and was working fine in his temp set up. I really don't know what to do now, Ideally id have a spare motherboard to test but don't know whether just to get one anyway since he's thinking of a new-build in the summer.

TRENDING THREADS