Question No display on monitor with GPU in PCIe x16 slot, but no problem in x8 slot ?

dforrest

Reputable
Jan 31, 2018
I have part of the problem covered by the ""No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist" thread.

I have a GTX 1070 graphics card on a Gigabyte Z370XP SLI motherboard. The graphics card has been working for months in the PCIe 16x slot. Suddenly, when I start the computer, the EVGA backlit logo is no longer lit and the card fan no longer runs. The monitor receives no signal. I am sure that the POST has completed, with the normal single beep, and from the case fans and other sounds, I am sure that Window has started, but with no monitor display.

If I remove the same graphics card from the x16 slot and install it in the x8 slot, all works perfectly.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on what bios version you are currently running you can try to update the bios and see if the x16 comes back to life. Bios f4 actually addresses a vga issue. You may luck out, but it does (as you already know) look like the x16 slot has died.

Last edited:

dforrest

Reputable
Jan 31, 2018
BIOS replacement appears not to resolve the problem.

In the past, when I had problems with USB ports, I would remove these in Device Manager and they were corrected and replaced when I re-booted. Can I do this with the problem PSIe slot by removing its Device Manager entry?

dforrest

Reputable
Jan 31, 2018
Put a different way, is it possible to remove the driver for one of the two PCIe slots and then reinstalling it? If so. how can this be done?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS