Question No display on new build with RX 7900 XTX ?

Oct 12, 2023
So, over the last couple days i was building my own pc for the first time. Everything went pretty well, except i had some trouble with updating the bios on my motherboard via bios flashback but eventually got that working.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI MEG x570 Unify
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XTX PowerColor Reference
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V 3600 c16 32gb
SSD: Kingston KC 3000 2TB
PSU: bequiet! Straight Power 11 1200W
Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Managed to post and get into bios, so far so good. Everthing looked as it should. I disabled secure boot because i wanted to install Debian 12 on my system, plugged in the boot-drive and selected graphical install in the menu. Then all i saw was something like this (example image):

IMG_20220315_101718.jpg.d4ebdabed7eb86923ad8a1711c07d5cd.jpg

After searching online and finding nothing useful i tried other CPIe lanes, clearing cmos and searching through the bios settings to see if i messed anything up, but the issue persisted. I then tried an old 1050ti i had lying around and that worked without issues. I then installed the os to see if maybe it was just some issue with the debian 12 graphical installer but with the 7900 xtx installed the system gets stuck in boot and i have to shut it down manually.

My question is, is my GPU busted or am i stupid and forgot something obvious? Thanks :)

Last edited:
I would say that there's a problem with the card. As you can see in my sig, I also have an X570 motherboard and an RX 7900 XTX video card. I popped my card into my system and didn't even have to change the driver package that I used with my RX 6800 XT, it just worked.

If the problem was with the system, the GTX 1050 Ti wouldn't work either. Occam's Razor says that the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Reactions: Order 66