No display on new build...

GiantFrazz

Reputable
May 23, 2014
Really in need of some guidance here.....
I've just had the following components delivered for my first PC build:

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: Asus R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series 600W Semi Modular

After assembling all the components and connecting it to my TV via HDMI, I get no display whatsoever, and I can only turn it off by using the Power Supply switch. The CPU, GPU and case fans all start up, and there's a green LED on the motherboard. I've tried moving the RAM into different slots, using just one stick of RAM at a time in all 4 slots, and removing and re-seating the GPU. I've even followed the instructions in the motherboard manual for clearing the CMOS by moving the jumper cap.

It has booted ONCE, however I had to power it down to go get a USB wired keyboard (my wireless one wasn't recognised). But since then, I'm back to nothing. I've even tried connecting it to another monitor via VGA.

I've contacted the supplier (scan.co.uk) and they've issued me an RMA for the Graphics Card, as it's getting very hot (like burns to touch) within 10-15 seconds of powering on, and smells like burning plastic. However, I've read online that GPUs do run hot (although this fast seems odd) and the smell could just be because it's new, so I want to be sure it's not the motherboard at fault before I send it away, as they charge for returning items they test and don't find faulty.

I've ordered a speaker for the motherboard, as neither it or the case came with one, to try and see if I get any Post beeps at all, but aside from that, has anyone got a clue what could be going wrong?? All the connections from my Power Supply are connected correctly, and the BIOS version on the motherboard supports the CPU I have, so aside from a fault with either the motherboard or GPU, I'm stuck as to what could be the fault here.

UPDATE: I've had the speaker through and connected it up, and I get no beeps whatsoever on turning it on. Tried with just the CPU, the CPU and one RAM stick, nothing. I assume the motherboard is DOA??