[SOLVED] No display on new build

Jun 14, 2020
I have bought the below setup to build a decent pint sized gaming rig for my girlfriend as a birthday present.
I have built quite a few computers over the years but have never attempted doing what I am doing this time which is updating the bios so that the motherboard will work with the 9th generation cpu before even installing any operating system and to do this I bought an Intel Pentium Gold G5400 which is an 8th gen cpu as far as I'm aware (I can't do that flash boot usb bios update thing with this motherboard either)

Now when I try to boot the system everything seems fine fans turn on, leds turn on, no beeps, no lights to say anything isn't working but for some reason there is no display coming up on the monitor.

The problem is with this little itx motherboard you can't reset the cmos and I'm fairly sure it's a problem with the motherboard as I confirmed the graphics card works in my other PC but both appear to be lighting up fine and fans are working etc.

All the pins are connected and I only have the necessary things connected, the only other thing I can think of trying without getting a new motherboard is finding an 8th gen intel cpu with built in display capabilities.

Any idea before I start sending back the motherboard as to what else it may be or if I'm doing something wrong or missing something.

Solution
CMOS - no "switch". Just remove the battery to reset.

Which monitor port are you using: HDMI or Display Port?

Double check the monitor's configuration menu to ensure that the correct port is selected.

Are you able to connect PC to monitor with another known working video cable?

Boot into safe mode - determine if that works.

Integrated Graphics: if I identified the correct CPU you should be able to use the motherboard's video ports via Intel HD Graphics 630.

Ralston18

Titan
CMOS - no "switch". Just remove the battery to reset.

Which monitor port are you using: HDMI or Display Port?

Double check the monitor's configuration menu to ensure that the correct port is selected.

Are you able to connect PC to monitor with another known working video cable?

Boot into safe mode - determine if that works.

Integrated Graphics: if I identified the correct CPU you should be able to use the motherboard's video ports via Intel HD Graphics 630.

Solution
Jun 24, 2020
Like Ralston18 says, I had the same problem with my build and it turned out I was trying to use a Display Port cable to a monitor that would not refresh and display the lower VGA signal the BIOS upon reboot. I wound up using an older DCI port monitor to configure the system and then the display port monitor once it was configured properly.

If you must use a Display Port monitor, you could try turning it off and on again upon reboot to see if BIOS is active...

Jun 14, 2020
I have tried both HDMI and Display port and have confirmed the cables are working with another system.

I have checked the monitors configuration menu and all is fine.

I can't boot into safe mode as there's no operating system installed yet.

I have tried but don't think the integrated graphics works with a 9th gen cpu on this motherboard before the bios have been updated although you are right I just checked and this cpu does have integrated graphics I didn't double check that let's see..