[SOLVED] No display on newly built PC (troubleshooting help)

Sep 2, 2019
I have a problem I haven't encountered before. Im not a very experienced builder, but I have built more than a couple of systems. Ok, enough about me and on to the problem.

When I put my new PC together it seemingly worked fine. Powerbutton worked, led lights, all fans including CPU-fan were spinning and the EZ Debug LED is of what I can tell behaving correct. CPU-led lights up for a sec and DRAM lights up for about 10 secs, then turns off. It just seemed right, except no display. As I have googled myself green I noticed I weren't alone with the problem. It seemed like it was alot of "EASY FIX" videos all over YouTube, but nothing worked. Does anybody have the same experience as me or similar problem with same components?

I have tried several cables and monitors, and also another videocard.

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

SPECS
CPU: i5-9600K
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
MB: MSI B360M Bazooka (don't know If BIOS is up to date)

Solution
Ok, just tried booting without the CPU. There is no difference in the behavior. Still a black screen. Tried to FAT32 format a usb stick and put the updated bios version on it. No luck there.

It's a little more involved than that in regards to updating the Bios. :)

At this point, I'd suggest you either borrow/rent a CPU (Local repair shop may have one on loan you could rent) or take it in to have a repair shop do it for you as if it's not done right, updating the Bios i mean, bigger problems could arise.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi ItsAshlad,

You need a Bios update for that CPU to work with that motherboard. An update came out in April to add support for newer gen CPU's with an additional Bios update that came out last month.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360M-BAZOOKA

You may have to beg, borrow or steal (not really the stealing part) a previous gen CPU, one that works out-of-the-box so that your system will post to the Bios so that you can update it.

However, Some mobo's will allow you to enter the Bios without the CPU/RAM installed. all you need is the power connected & a flash drive with the updated Bios, though I'm not sure if your mobo supports this.

How to Update - https://us.msi.com/files/pdf/How_to_flash_the_BIOS.doc

I would suggest you start there 1st.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Reactions: ItsAshlad
Sep 2, 2019
Hi ItsAshlad,

You need a Bios update for that CPU to work with that motherboard. An update came out in April to add support for newer gen CPU's with an additional Bios update that came out last month.

Let us know how it goes!
Thank you very much for saying that brother. I have never updated bios before. Is there a good video for that?

Sep 2, 2019
Hi ItsAshlad,

Let us know how it goes!
Hi ItsAshlad,

Let us know how it goes!
And also.. I can't reach Bios because I have just a black screen. Is there a procedure in my case?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
And also.. I can't reach Bios because I have just a black screen. Is there a procedure in my case?

At this point, I would try removing the CPU, but keeping the RAM installed and see if your particular motherboard allows you access to the Bios. Your 9600k has on-board graphics (UHD Graphics 630 ) Plug your monitor into the DVI-D port on the back of your motherboard. You can also try the above but without the RAM & have the 1060 installed and instead of the DVI-D, use the DVI/HDMI at the back of your card.

Try this and let us know if it works. More than likely it won't work, as only very few mobo's allow this. Still If it does, then the next step can be worked on. If you still can't access your Bios, you'll need to borrow or rent a loaner CPU or take it into a local repair shop and they could flash the Bios for you.

1st things 1st though. try the above & let us know.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019
At this point, I would try removing the CPU, but keeping the RAM installed and see if your particular motherboard allows you access to the Bios. Your 9600k has on-board graphics (UHD Graphics 630 ) so you can also remove the 1060 6GB GPU as well. Plug your monitor into the DVI-D port on the back of your motherboard.

Try this and let us know if it works. If it does, then the next step can be worked on. If you can't access your Bios, you'll need to borrow or rent a loaner CPU.

1st things 1st though. try the above & let us know.
I will try that later! Again, thanks.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Ok, just tried booting without the CPU. There is no difference in the behavior. Still a black screen. Tried to FAT32 format a usb stick and put the updated bios version on it. No luck there.

At this point, I'd suggest you either borrow/rent a CPU (Local repair shop may have one on loan you could rent) or take it in to have a repair shop do it for you as if it's not done right, updating the Bios i mean, bigger problems could arise.

Solution
Sep 2, 2019

Just an update on the matter.

Got this answer from MSI them self:
"According to the serial number you offered, the factory BIOS version of your MB is 2.0. But this MB can support 5-9600k CPU since BIOS 2.3. And this MB doesn't support BIOS flashing without CPU. You need to install a 8th generation CPU to boot up the MB and flash the BIOS. If you don't have one or cannot borrow one from others, we suggest you contact the reseller(the place you bought the motherboard from) for them help check further. If the reseller for some reason cannot help, we have to ask you to contact MSI distributor or MSI Office near your place to seek further help. Thanks!"