[SOLVED] No display on screen and solid orange light on ROG Strix B450-F motherboard

Aug 9, 2019
I recently finished a new build, and when starting it for the first time it did not post.

Inspecting the motherboard, I noticed that an orange LED was lit and solid, which relates to a DRAM issue according to the manual.

My first thought was that this is a BIOS issue as I am using a Ryzen 3600. I tried following steps to flash the most recent BIOS update using the Crashfree BIOS feature, but I was unable to due to there being no display (and tbh I still don't really understand how crashfree works).

I then tried searching the problem, and noticed similar issues to mine (no display despite all fans, LEDS etc. running), and tried several things:

1. Clearing the CMOS with the jumper pins on the board, no change.
  2. Removing all the RAM sticks in my system and running it, no change.
  3. Placing a single RAM stick in each slot, again no change.

I was also thinking that this might be due to incompatibility with my RAM; I have 2 packs of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) F4-3200C16D-16GVRB (four sticks in total), which states that it is XMP ready which I read was an intel only feature. Though I had researched this before buying the sticks and found that there shouldn't be any problems with using these in an AMD system.

To sum up plus a few extra notes:
  • No display and solid orange LED (relating to DRAM issues)
  • All fans spinning and LEDs are all on
  • Using a Ryzen 3600 so BIOS is not up-to-date
  • RAM may be incompatible, though orange LED lights regardless of how sticks are put in (or if there are any in the system)
  • No other diagnosis LEDs light up, as soon as I press the power button the orange LED only lights up and remains lit.
  • I have tried using plugging HDMI into both the GPU and the motherboard

My question would be whether any of my previous hunches might be correct, or if it something else entirely. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) F4-3200C16D-16GVRB (2 packs)
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 1060 6GB

Solution
You need an older supported AMD CPU to install so you can update the BIOS to version 2301 before you can install your 3600.
If there are any PC shops in your area you can probably pay them a small fee to update the BIOS for you.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome the forums my friend!

Just simple ones to begin with:
- firstly cover this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Removing all the RAM sticks in my system and running it, no change.
This will happen because it will fault with no RAM at all. At least 1 RAM is needed to boot. Have you tried breadboarding the system?
- Motherboard, CPU and Cooler, PSU, 1 stick of RAM all outside of the case.

See if that yields any different results.

You say you have 2 packs of RAM, presumably you have tried it with just 1 pack, as 2 packs are not guaranteed compatibility.

Aug 9, 2019
Welcome the forums my friend!

Just simple ones to begin with:
- firstly cover this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

This will happen because it will fault with no RAM at all. At least 1 RAM is needed to boot. Have you tried breadboarding the system?
- Motherboard, CPU and Cooler, PSU, 1 stick of RAM all outside of the case.

See if that yields any different results.

You say you have 2 packs of RAM, presumably you have tried it with just 1 pack, as 2 packs are not guaranteed compatibility.
I haven't heard of breadboarding before, I'll try it and see what happens, thanks. Also I'm not sure what you mean by using just one pack, as each stick is the exact same model, and shouldn't it work with one stick in the system regardless?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I haven't heard of breadboarding before, I'll try it and see what happens, thanks. Also I'm not sure what you mean by using just one pack, as each stick is the exact same model, and shouldn't it work with one stick in the system regardless?
But did you get them from different PACKS? Or are there 2 modules from 1 PACK? I mean physical pack.

If you got them from physically different packs, then no they are not guaranteed compatibility. This is why manufacturers only guarantee RAM in the form sold (from the same pack) regardless as to if they are the exact same model, because the manufacturing process changes frequently, so you could have 2 of the same model RAM, that technically, are manufactured and composed different. Getting the same model is just a way of trying to minimise risk, not eliminating it.

it's why I've suggested the breadboard, so it only has 1 stick of RAM, then if this doesn't work, try again with the other stick of RAM. It may be worth power cycling and clearing CMOS before hand too.

Aug 9, 2019
But did you get them from different PACKS? Or are there 2 modules from 1 PACK? I mean physical pack.

If you got them from physically different packs, then no they are not guaranteed compatibility. This is why manufacturers only guarantee RAM in the form sold (from the same pack) regardless as to if they are the exact same model, because the manufacturing process changes frequently, so you could have 2 of the same model RAM, that technically, are manufactured and composed different. Getting the same model is just a way of trying to minimise risk, not eliminating it.

it's why I've suggested the breadboard, so it only has 1 stick of RAM, then if this doesn't work, try again with the other stick of RAM. It may be worth power cycling and clearing CMOS before hand too.
Ah, I see. Never knew that packs might still be incompatible, thanks for explaining that. Yes it's two physically separate packs of 2x8gb.

I just tried breadboarding the system. I cleared the CMOS and then inserted 3 different sticks into different slots on the board, but unfortunately the LED lit up every time with each stick.

Aug 9, 2019
I've been reading the guide you linked and was thinking this might be easier if I ordered a diagnosis speaker for the motherboard. Would there be any reason to do this or would I just be wasting my time?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've been reading the guide you linked and was thinking this might be easier if I ordered a diagnosis speaker for the motherboard. Would there be any reason to do this or would I just be wasting my time?
Absolutely a good idea. The speaker can help identify what the issue might be.
Just don't be surprised if it's BIOS beep code also indicates RAM failure. But a speaker is always useful yes. However:

Using a Ryzen 3600 so BIOS is not up-to-date

Do you know what BIOS you have? The B450-F requires BIOS 2301 to take the 3600.

Aug 9, 2019
Absolutely a good idea. The speaker can help identify what the issue might be.
Just don't be surprised if it's BIOS beep code also indicates RAM failure. But a speaker is always useful yes. However:

Do you know what BIOS you have? The B450-F requires BIOS 2301 to take the 3600.
I am not sure what exact version the BIOS on the mobo is currently, sorry. But I know for sure the version installed doesn't support 3rd gen ryzen, which is why I tried flashing it to one that does, but failed due to no display.

If a speaker can be of any help, then I'll buy it for sure seeing as how it doesn't cost that much and will likely provide more info than a LED light.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
You need an older supported AMD CPU to install so you can update the BIOS to version 2301 before you can install your 3600.
If there are any PC shops in your area you can probably pay them a small fee to update the BIOS for you.

Solution
Aug 9, 2019
Dang it, so the crashless bios feature doesn't work the way I thought? Where you can just update off a usb drive regardless of what cpu is installed?

If so that's fine then, just a small inconvenience and better than having faulty parts. But I'm wondering if an unsupported cpu could cause this kind of issue with the motherboard led? I don't want to track down a compatible cpu and install it only to realise that something entirely different is the problem.

Aug 9, 2019
Alright then, that's somewhat of a relief. I'll see what I can do about finding a compatible CPU to update the BIOS or if a store can do it for me.

I'll mark DMAN999's response as the best answer. Thanks to both of you for your support.

Last edited: