[SOLVED] No Display or USB available

Belbo

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
So I have this rather particular issue at the moment.

I've upgraded my pc a while back (around 6 months ago) with a new MOBO, CPU and RAM. It was a bit of a hassle, but everything turned out fine.
The last 2 weeks however, I'm having some issues when running the game Dragon Age Inquisition, the issue being that sometimes while playing my 2 monitors just give up and display nothing anymore (my 2nd monitor sometimes displays some "glitch" effect visuals). It also happened that my pc would just reboot itself while being in the game. Now the reason why I mention the game in particular is because this issue doesn't happen with any other games I play or if I just use the browser or any other program, however it would kind of surprise me if it was the games fault as I've been playing it longer then these last 2 weeks.

Normally I would just restart my pc and everything would be fine again. However, today the issue happened again and suddenly I was unable to even reboot my pc. I could hear my pc working and the power light was on, but it did not detect my monitors. After a while, I also realized that none of the USB ports on the front or on the back were working. I opened up the case and noticed that the VGA light was burning, so I thought there might be an issue with my GPU (this is pretty old, so it wouldn't surprise me). I've moved the GPU to another PSI port without success, reconnected the PSU, connecting my monitors to the MOBO instead of the GPU,... and done everything that I could but I still couldn't get anything on my monitors and the USBs were still not working.

So I left my pc off, without any power for a couple of hours and now suddenly it works again without any issue and the VGA light on my MOBO is also not burning anymore. So I'm good for now, but I'm afraid these issues are the dying breath of 1 of my components, but I have no idea exactly what component could be the issue and I don't wanna replace still working parts. I also don't have any spare parts of ways of testing each component separately.

1. Could the issue be the older GPU nearing the end of it's lifespan ? I however don't see any graphical issues when I'm using other (intensive) programs.
  2. As the USBs were also not working, I'm inclined to believe there is an issue with my MOBO, but what could possible issues be, and why is it working again after a while ?
  3. Another guess I have is that my PSU might not be sufficient, maybe this also broke my MOBO. When I was having this issue, all fans were spinning as expected, but that ofcourse doesn't mean my GPU or MOBO got enough power to fully perform their tasks. According to online calculators I should have enough power, but my PSU is pretty old so I wouldn't be surprised if this was the issue.
At this point I've resolved myself I probably need to buy a new pc component, but I could use some help figuring out exactly with one.

Specs:
  • Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
  • MOBO B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II (MS-7C02)
  • GPU AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
  • RAM 2 x 8GB DDR4
  • PSU FSP500-60GHN 85+ (500 Watt)
Anyone who could help point me in the right direction ?

Thanks

I thought there might be an issue with my GPU...
connecting my monitors to the MOBO instead of the GPU
this CPU has no integrated graphics chip so this obviously wouldn't work.
USBs were still not working.
USB has absolutely nothing to do with a dedicated GPU not working so this would lead me towards a malfunctioning motherboard
or a power supply that cannot handle the load.

Solution