Question No display output - is that because of under-powered PSU or a graphics card problem ?

Nov 27, 2023
Hello,
I have a AMD R9 270x graphics card laying around. I have a 350W PSU and when I entered my computer's specs (including the R9) into the OuterVision PSU calculator, it said 348W (which I understand is not enough - I'm planning on buying probably a 500W PSU).

I decided to install the graphics card and try to run the computer for a few seconds to see if the graphics card even works - it did turn on, the graphics card lighted up blue and started spinning one fan, but I'm getting no display output to the monitor (HDMI - I don't have anything else currently).

My question is if this is likely to be a problem caused by the under-powered PSU, or if it could be indicative of some different problem with the R9? I heard that when using an under-powered PSU, the computer will run but it will be very unstable under pressure, so I'd like to know if no display output is one of the possible symptoms as well, or if the graphics card could have a problem.

Thanks very much in advance!

It's most likely insufficient power.

A quality PSU of at least 500w is required for an R9 270X